Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL President Downer steps down

Options
  • 25-04-2006 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

UL President Downer steps down

25 April 2006 20:09

The President of the University of Limerick, Prof Roger Downer, is to step downwith immediate effect due to ill health.

The University said in a statement this afternoon that Prof Downer had battled serious illness over the past eighteen months, and had reluctantly accepted the counsel of his doctors, family and friends, that his health would be best served if he disengaged from his present position.

He had served as president for the past eight years, during which time the student population swelled to over 10,000.
    Advertisement

He also chaired a multimillion euro building project with 12 major new buildings completed, in addition to acquiring 125 acres of extra campus space across the river Shannon.

He established outreach access programmes in the Southill area and established the college's first creche.

And he initiated a number of new academic programmes in architecture, physiotherapy, speech and language and occupational therapy, and led the campaign to bring a graduate medical school to the campus.

Vice President John O'Connor will take over as acting President, and the process of seeking a new President has begun.

The Chancellor of the University, Sean Donlon, said Prof Downer had served the University with distinction. He said he had led the University to its current very high standing in national and international educational circles and had made an enormous contribution in the areas of research, learning and teaching.

I want to take this opportunity to say what a legend I think the man is. He has been a role model and inspiration to us all. I would like to wish him all the best in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Where is that article from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dafranky

Fraid its the truth man. We'll miss him.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0425/downerr.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭The Long Fellow

Wow,
    I knew he wasn't well over the while but he looked in great form before i left for coop in Feb, he was always very supportive of History Soc.
    Wish him well anyway

Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Yes it'll be sad to see him go he's served the university well. It was reported in An Focal that he had been diagnosed with cancer of some type if I remember correctly.

Cheers
    Rory

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Tis sad isnt it:o
    One of the lads was telling me he worked all day for the college and it would be nothing without him. Sad to see him leave.

Nukem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think it's a terrible pity but I wish him well in continuing to enjoy life with his family as long as he can.

He's done so much for the University. It'll be difficult to find someone as talented as him to do the job.

I seem to remember him saying in the interview he gave in An Focal that he'd love to spend more time with his grandkids. I hope he enjoys his retirement as much as he can while he continues to battle his cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I wonder has the college organised anything. It would be nice to have something done to thank him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dafranky

yeah i wonder too. im sure they will do something but it would be nice if the students did something too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

I think that guy who came on here about Reopening the Scholars should be elected as new president effective immediately, he seemed pretty proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Ehhhh no... He was a student running for SU President, if I remember correctly. Also, his idea wasn't that well thought out. Not UL President material...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Otacon wrote:
    Ehhhh no... He was a student running for SU President, if I remember correctly. Also, his idea wasn't that well thought out. Not UL President material...

I think the sarcasm was lost on you

Advertisement