Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shallow issue

Options
  • 25-04-2006 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Well my problem is mainly superficial but its really depressing me.
    Thing is the past year has been really ****, the worst year of my life in fact. My best friend died, my parents separated, then i had to move halfway across the country (away from my dad), my mom is rarely at home anymore. And well I guess I started comfort eating. Ive put on 16 pounds in the past year im now 10st 3lbs. I'm not THAT overweight (i mean im now a size 12) and the weight wasnt really bothering me coz i know i can always lose it. But in the past month ive started getting stretch marks. is this normal? I mean i thought only pregnant or obese people got them. I know puberty can cause them but i have them on my upper arms as well which is the worst. I also have slight ones on my breasts, some on my inner thighs and on my lower back. I feel like my life is awful and now it will never improve. I can never go swimming, go to the beach, wear a dress etc and the worst is no guy will ever go out with me so basically im going to be alone forever. fun.
    Is there any way to get rid of them? if i become super toned and thin will they disappear? Ive tried cocoa butter but it just softens the skin.
    I hope u dont think im being really shallow, but lets face it we live in a shallow world and i actually feel physically ill when i think of them. ive considered just killing myself (more because of the actual hopelessness in my life) but i dont think i could do that to my little sister.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Whoa there! Stretch marks are a part of life, nearly everybody has some! I've plenty and it's certainly never stopped me wearing dresses or bikinis or anything. I don't even notice them, and I doubt anyone else does either. They *may* be a purplish colour now, but they pretty much blend in with your skin in time. They are a result of putting on weight quickly and completely normal. It's literally just your skin being stretched.

I've heard of things that supposedly help, I think Vitamin E cream does, but I've never tried them. Trust me, soon you'll forget they're there and nobody will see them!

Chances are, because things aren't great for you at the moment, you're just picking something small and insignificant to concentrate on to avoid having to deal with the bigger issues. But in time, everything will work itself out. Meanwhile, don't worry about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

first and foremost there is nothing to be ashamed of in relation to stretch marks most of us have them there just a little more obvious on some people. you do not have to be obese or pregnant to get stretch marks, but as you ve put on a few pounds this might be one of the reasons you have gotten them, it could be something as simple as you hadnt noticed them before. The past year has been extremely tough for you and i can only imagine how you feel however dont let the stretch marks get you down, some people see them as a sign of beauty, where as some dont, its just down to everyone personal opinion. Stretch marks are really very insignificant, there not nessessarily always very noticable so you should nt persacute your self about how you think other people will think of them because to be honest if i saw stretch marks on someone i personally wouldnt have an opinion because they really dont bother me in the slightest.

In relation to removing them im not too sure if they can be fully removed, but i think there are some creams that can make them not so obvious, best bet is to go into a large pharmacy and ask there, or ask your doctor. But as i said you really shouldnt persacute yourself over them, there really not a problem :)

Advertisement