Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing the Irish Youth Choir this year?

Options
  • 25-04-2006 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

So - is anyone?? I only heard about it for the first time from my Music Teacher and I'm defiately thinking of giving the auditions a go next week! It sounds like so much fun! Anyone doing it? Or is there anyone that has done it that can give me some feedback?
    Only problem is.. Its on the exact same day that I finish my leaving cert! Ah... I'll definately give the auditions a whirl anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Attracta Mann

Where did you go for the audition?
    I went to the Cork one. First time auditioning for them - I really wasn't expecting it cause I fluffed up me audition!

But I got a letter yesterday informing that I was accepted! Whoop!

The schedule is heavy going too - 12 hours a day for the week!!

Still, Am delighted I got through! Results should be great!

Oh, happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I've been singing in the choir since 1997 - its Ace, had a 2 year break but coming back this year.
    Best crack you'll have this year I garuntee!

That's great!

How often in the two years do they perform?

And, What's the average age of members?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭daphne

Doing IYC for the first time this year... looking forward to it! Haven't heard anything negative anyhow!

So, is the rehearsal schedule as gruelling as it sounds?!

Scary, isn't it? It'll be hard going like but I can't wait!
    Have ye heard the peices we're performing in full yet?

• Advertisement

No! Want to get a recording of them before I go... looked on cd wow but I'd say they'd take a while to be delivered!

A friend tells me the Messe Solennelle is a great sing with a really loud organ part! Should be fun!

The audition excerpt was quite spikey!

It was! I messed it up! Went all yucky and flat!
    What part are you singing?

I've tried limewire for all the pieces but had no luck!

Going to try and borrow recordings if I can... other than that i might try get a naxos edition and are only 8 ish euros... they have everything! You can generally get record shops to order you in a naxos cd (if they stock naxos cds to begin with) The catalogue is here... http://www.naxos.com/mainsite/default.asp

I sing alto! Sang the alto 2 part in the audition... didn't want to risk the higher notes!! :D Ever so slightly fluffed one of the entries too (whoopsy)! But it didn't work against me (or maybe he didn't notice!!!!) :D

How bout you?!

What's that? Naxos?! :confused: I never heard of 'em.

I sang alto also - but the first line.
    I imagine it was the vocal exercises got me through - along with others, I'd say. The lines, especially the alto, (maybe I'm biased!) weren't the easiest!

I hope we'll get our line CDs in the post soon too!

Are you from Cork?

Do you think many of the members will be younger rather than older, or what?

Naxos are a classical recording company, their cds are found in most record shops and they're generally about 8 euros each. They seem to have a recording of everything.

No! Not from Cork! From the West! Galway to be precise! :D

Yes... i thought the alto parts were difficult... especially the last line with that minor third jump from c to e flat. When I was practising I was trying to play the organ part aswell (which was totally different to the notes I was singing) and found it hard...

I'm sure after 9 days of non stop rehearsal, it should be ingrained on our brains forever! :D

Don't know about the ages... hmmm... I'm thinking that a lot of people will be college students...

• Advertisement

Did you get your mail and line CD?
    What do you think?

Yup, got the whole shebang last night. Listened to the performance of the poulenc... really liked it. Havent really listened to line cd yet...

The whole programme seems short enough, doesn't it?

That Langlais is really spikey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

daphne wrote:
    Yup, got the whole shebang last night. Listened to the performance of the poulenc... really liked it. Havent really listened to line cd yet...

The whole programme seems short enough, doesn't it?

That Langlais is really spikey...

Oops I completely forgot that I posted this thing!! ^_^
    But yeah - I did the auditions in Limerick and I couldn't believe that I got in!! I was like.. "funky...". It should be cool though - although I am a little nervous.. it's so prestigious and the pieces are really difficult! I'm smack bang in the middle of my Leaving so practising for them will be hard... ack....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I've been in the choir 10 years this year, missed one year 'cause of work placement in college, but vowed I never would again! the 12 hours a day is just a guideline, it really is great fun, if you're a soprano, be prepared for curfews if your line is high!
    It's a tough week, the rehearsals are intense, but it's a week you'll never forget, you'll make great friends and you'll be booking holidays from work from it when you're older, and curse yourself for hitting 30!

for the newbies, we have a distribution list too in yahoo, if anyone wants the details (make sure you have an email address that can handle ALOT of emails!) just PM me and I'll give them to you.

see you all next Friday!
    Eileen

That's great!

How often in the two years do they perform?
    Depends on the Music and the funding... looks like this year it will be only one concert, but next year we're doing Mozarts Requiem (TBC) as a reunion concert, so we may do two performances.
    And, What's the average age of members?
    17 - 29, generally alot more of the 17 - 21/22 the past few years, when I started there was a much older crowd, all 23 - 26 (that was soo old when I started!)

Depends on the Music and the funding... looks like this year it will be only one concert, but next year we're doing Mozarts Requiem (TBC) as a reunion concert, so we may do two performances.

17 - 29, generally alot more of the 17 - 21/22 the past few years, when I started there was a much older crowd, all 23 - 26 (that was soo old when I started!)

Mozart's Requiem!!? Wow!! I would give anything to perform that!!
    I am really excited about Friday. I really need to knuckle down on my lines though... I'm in the middle of my leaving cert so it's been difficult cramming everything in. And I didn't realise how difficult the pieces would be. Especially the SATB one! It's right at the top of my range - and I'm a bass! >_<

Mozart's Requiem!!? Wow!! I would give anything to perform that!!
    I am really excited about Friday. I really need to knuckle down on my lines though... I'm in the middle of my leaving cert so it's been difficult cramming everything in. And I didn't realise how difficult the pieces would be. Especially the SATB one! It's right at the top of my range - and I'm a bass! >_<

Don't have total heart failure about your lines, have a good idea of them, but you don't need to know them by heart or anything! There are so many sectional rehearsals, by the end of the week you'll have no problems.
    I don't know if you've gotten Pat's emails, but he said to use your break times to listen to line tapes, but what I do is just have the performance tape playing in the background the whole time! (in the car, at work, at home!) (I still call them tapes, even though this is our 2nd year getting CD's!)

have a look out for me on friday, I'll be one of the auld ones smoking out the front more than likely! and I'm in know your nerds somewhere too!
    You'll have a ball, and best of luck with the rest of the Leaving Cert!

And I didn't realise how difficult the pieces would be. Especially the SATB one! It's right at the top of my range - and I'm a bass! >_<

Me too (about the difficult line) though range wise, it's ok for me (I'm an alto) :)
    I'm finding the intervals really difficult especially when I'm trying to sing along to the performance (arghhhhhhhhh). :)

Looking forward to it though!

Don't have total heart failure about your lines, have a good idea of them, but you don't need to know them by heart or anything! There are so many sectional rehearsals, by the end of the week you'll have no problems.
    I don't know if you've gotten Pat's emails, but he said to use your break times to listen to line tapes, but what I do is just have the performance tape playing in the background the whole time! (in the car, at work, at home!) (I still call them tapes, even though this is our 2nd year getting CD's!)

have a look out for me on friday, I'll be one of the auld ones smoking out the front more than likely! and I'm in know your nerds somewhere too!
    You'll have a ball, and best of luck with the rest of the Leaving Cert!

Yeah -I'm kinda ok about the pieces now. Well - I have a fair idea of the Langlais. I will be able to sing along with it just fine. I haven't actually gone over the all Male one though.. Ah... Oh well.
    Thanks for the advice though! It will be a dramatic change from the Japanese exam on Friday morning to the Singing that afternoon!!

daphne wrote:
    Me too (about the difficult line) though range wise, it's ok for me (I'm an alto)
    I'm finding the intervals really difficult especially when I'm trying to sing along to the performance (arghhhhhhhhh).

Yeah - I have a ridiculously low voice and the first movement of the Langlais one is very high (for a bass). Lot's of Es which are just at the top of my range. In fact, I wonder if I could get away with miming them!! :p
    And you're right about the intervals! There are so many sharps and flats and then wide leaps... it's very different! But it sounds so cool when its all together...

daphne wrote:
    Me too (about the difficult line) though range wise, it's ok for me (I'm an alto) :)
    I'm finding the intervals really difficult especially when I'm trying to sing along to the performance (arghhhhhhhhh). :)

it's ok, Carmel will help us alto's with the intervals!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 kateling

I know that this is a year old thread but... is anyone doing the Irish Youth Choir this year? This Friday that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Why have I only heard about this now?! I would so audition next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

What's the age requirements again? Loadsa people who go to my vocal coach do it and say it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

On the site it says the minimum age is 17, yay I'm eligible for it next year \o/

Advertisement