Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving up to the North West

Options
  • 25-04-2006 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Hi Guys

My family have a home in Glencolmcille which I have spent every summer in for 20 yrs. Now I would like to move up the with my fiancee and kids for "a better way of life" i hope!

I was thinking Donegal Town etc for work , does anyone have any tips, is it hard to find work?
    What are my options on childcare and schools etc?

Any advice gratefully recieved:p

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Donegal Town you say...

There is some work, though it depends on what you're qualified for, and what you want to do.

It's not too far from other towns if you wanted to commute.

Childcare and schools are well enough catered for. There are 2 creches that I can think of, and about 3 or 4 national schools (maybe more), and a Gaelscóil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Thanks for ALL the advice and tips, jeeess u guys r so helpful!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I wouldnt know that area of Donegal very well but there are jobs here for anyone who wants to work. Schools, creches etc are available unless you are going to a very remote area.

byte

Some links...

www.donegaltown.ie
    In the business section, you'll see Bumble Bees, which is one of the 2 creches in the town.

www.donegal.ie

As for jobs, it will entirely depend on what you look for.

Donegal is about 30 miles from Letterkenny, 14 miles from Ballyshannon, 17 miles from Killybegs, etc.

I get the feeling I'm wasting my time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Hey Byte why do u think ur wasting ur time??? All advice is welcome :p

Ive worked in hotels all my life and my partner is in sales so they r the job types we would be loking for.

Ive found some fab houses at a great rate so I may be joining u all up there:D

• Advertisement
    byte

Well, for hotel work, there is a few hotels you can try in Donegal Town, including Abbey Hotel and Central Hotel, both owned by White Group and located in town centre; also Mill Park Hotel, not far from the town centre.

ANd of course, some hotels in Killybegs, Ballybofey/Stranorlar, Ballyshannon and particularly Bundoran if you don't mind the bit of extra travel.

Also plenty of B & B's etc if you'd consider them also? Lot of these are just family run though, so might not be much hope for employment with them.

As for sales jobs, I guess it would depend the type of sales job. ie. supermarket sales or something more advanced than that.

Is the houses you are considering all in the Donegal Town area? Some houses in Donegal I consider overpriced for what they offer compared to similar houses in Letterkenny or Twin Towns.

Advertisement