Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet dating

Options
  • 25-04-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Im a 23 year old male who is trying out an internet dating site at the moment. Just wondering can any of you who have used one of these can give me some advice? Im in contact with this girl at the moment and i'd say we'd be a good match. We both want to meet in person but after hearing horror stories about this kind of thing before i am having second thoughts.

What experiences have any of you had with these sites? Are they safe ways of meeting people? What should i look out for?

Also i suppose i havn't had a proper relationship with a girl yet. Any tips for a first date if we do decide to meet in person?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Its just another way of meeting people. Youll have a good time, or it will suck. Its worth giving it a shot anyway, just ask her out to dinner.

I wouldnt worry about not having too many relationships before. Youre youngish anyway, so long as youve been honest and havent been bragging about yourself as some kind casanova, then if she had a problem with your inexperience, she wouldnt be interested in meeting you in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

There was a thread recently on this board about a guy that met up with an internet female friend. It turned out fine for him as i recall.

Best advice is to meet in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,124 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't get your hopes up massively, treat it as a bit of fun. Anything else isa bonus. And if it doesn't turn out to be a horror story but doesn't work out for whatever reason, realx and don't be afraid to try again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some where public during the day for coffee, where you can talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Rockstar*

I did it last friday-first time ever doing something like it but i spilt with ex recently and thought I might aswell try it out!!

was good fun in the end although she sent me several pics which she looked great in before meeting and sorry to sound shallow but she hid the fact that shes a fairly big girl and the pics were clearly not very recent....I saw past this and thought she was really funny etc etc and enjoyed the night but there wasnt not enough spark there anyway so I dont think ill be letting it go much further...even though we kissed that night!?!?!?!?

Ive tried a couple of dating sites by the way, i havent been using them long but ive found them really crap to be honest

find not a lot of girls bother to message you back or reply to mails-nothing to do with me ive been told,they seem to be like this with everyone!

despite all this im looking forward to doing it again-good buzz about it and its only a matter of time surely before i meet someone really nice that i click with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I agree with most of what has been said already - I've used them before and will probably use them again. I think you should go for it. Meet somewhere public - either go for coffee or a drink. Try and relax and be yourself - although I know how hard it is. The first time I did it, I was a nervous wreck, but it is easier once you've actually met. Have you spoken on the phone? It can make things easier if you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Vidic-is-good

I've met up with about 7 or 8 girls in about 6 months from internet dating. Met one who I liked enough to have a relationship with. I got tlaking to loads online but other than that one I went out with, I found none of the others attractive. Dont be fooled by emails, they can be deceptive. Aslo, I'm in no way suggesting that I'm above it. I have stopped using it because of my success rate. I can find someone I'm attracted to straight away by going out. Sounds shallow but attraction is important. The personality thing isnt too hard to find either. In fact, you are more likely to find a genuine personality in the real world than online in my opinion. Sometimes people are false while searching for a date online. My advice would be to not use internet dating as a means of dating. Just for meeting new people (of the opposite sex) and maybe something will happen for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

i;'ve done it worked out great been with her for 6 months now ... try it...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

talk on the phone...several times..before you meet. Internet chat or sending messages on the dating sites is not going to give you a real idea of what she is really like.

good points chuckles-attraction is important youre right and i agree theres a far better chance of meeting someone suitable when out on the weekend etc but the reason I used it was because nobody was going out on the weekends (mates!) and I was finding it hard to get out to meet these new people ....so in that way I would advise people to use it

I do agree that an awful lot of people tell blatant lies on the internet - Im not sure why some people do it cause sureky they must realise its better to be honest than have to suffer the embarrassment from them being found out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've met up with about 7 or 8 girls in about 6 months from internet dating. Met one who I liked enough to have a relationship with.
    <snip>
    My advice would be to not use internet dating as a means of dating. Just for meeting new people (of the opposite sex) and maybe something will happen for you.
    Everyone I know who tried internet dating had the opposite experience to you - they found that real life was a dead-end as far as hooking up goes, but dating sites were very successful. maybe that's just the people I know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Internet dating is great fun! i met my fiancee on the net! and loads of friends! try it...
    But i agree with whats been said above, meet in a public place and during the day. Preferably somewhere quiet where you'll be able to talk. Do you have to travel far?
    Just don't expect miracles, To be honest i was convinced that when me and my fella met up we wouldnt be attracted to each other at all! Photo's can definatley be deceptive! :D
    Good luck!

what are the best places to do it? as in sites

I found maybefriends absolutely bruuuuuutal:eek: and anotherfriend not as bad but at the same time not much better:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

woo.ie is really good! or was, when i was on dating sites! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Vidic-is-good

spacetweek wrote:
    Everyone I know who tried internet dating had the opposite experience to you - they found that real life was a dead-end as far as hooking up goes, but dating sites were very successful. maybe that's just the people I know though.
    Maybe I suck at it then. Perhaps I shouldnt have uploaded a pic of me with an axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the advice. Talking on the phone first sounds like a good idea. I'll be a nervous wreck the first time but hopefully we'll get past that.

Advertisement