Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 2.2 Valley of Darkness

Options
  • 25-04-2006 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Very good again, losing the frenetic pace of the beginning but upping the sense of gloom and desperation.

The Cylon boarders were well done with the chase sequences being quite freaky.

Tigh's increasing desperation is really interesting - the man is totally losing his aura of being the stern capable XO. Adama saved him from the Sh*thole that was his life - was/is Tigh up to the job? Apollo's cold dismissal of him at the end of the episode seems to say a resounding no. The crew don't seem to trust him, Apollo and Starbuck certainly don't, the president thinks he is a brainless military man.

What the hell is going on on Kobol? Human sacrifice? How could no. 6 know that? Is she a total delusion or is she really in his head? Is she connected to the main Cylons or what?

Most interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

quad_red wrote:
    Tigh's increasing desperation is really interesting - the man is totally losing his aura of being the stern capable XO. Adama saved him from the Sh*thole that was his life - was/is Tigh up to the job? Apollo's cold dismissal of him at the end of the episode seems to say a resounding no. The crew don't seem to trust him, Apollo and Starbuck certainly don't, the president thinks he is a brainless military man.
    As Tigh has said multiple times, he does not want his own command. He wants to be Adama's XO, nothing more. He is a good XO in some respects, in that he maintains discipline, and Adama can trust him with vital tasks (taking personal command of Damage Control in the miniseries). However, his alcoholism, indecisiveness, and (first and foremost) his wife get in his way a lot of the time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll watch this one again on the train tomorrow (PSP ftw!) and comment on it then....I'm rusty on the specifics of each episode at this stage.

The one thing I remember about this episode was that I would have like to see more cylon action. They were pretty devastating when we did see them.

The other thing that caught my eye were the two single survivors. In particular the mechanic and to a lesser extent the hot lady whose name I can't remember right now. In the jacks were ya? Oh right. Grand.

....you got here after the massacre.....rriiiiiiiggght. ;)

Converting episode 3 now for some psp action on the train on the way home. Lovely day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

a bit of head in the enlisted head.

So to speak ;)

Yeah, would have been nice to see more of the boarding party. I liked Tigh's flashbacks in the deleted scenes (allowing him to figure out what the Cylons were up to cos of a story Adama had told him drunk years before about the previous war).

I must be missing something. How did the flashbacks provide the insight? (oh, in the deleted scenes. one sees :) )

Also, I see you're up to pegasus. You fecker! ;) I'm only at episode 8. Trudging along. October's a long way away. ;)

On the survivors front: I thought that either of them might have survived because they're cylon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

One thing thats for sure, is that the quality of the sfx regarding the Cylons had been improving all the time. I remember watching to mini-series and thinking they looked a bit too "Typical TV" and out of place....now they look really fluid and realistic, blending in alot better with the surrounding which in turn definately makes the viewing more credible and enjoyable.

One thing though - they state that only explosive rounds can take down the centurions in this episode and that regular rounds barely dent, however, in several instances in the rest of the series (I'm only up to episode 9 myself, only got them recently, trying to cram them all in :D), the Cylons are taken down by regular side arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

HavoK wrote:
    One thing though - they state that only explosive rounds can take down the centurions in this episode and that regular rounds barely dent, however, in several instances in the rest of the series (I'm only up to episode 9 myself, only got them recently, trying to cram them all in :D), the Cylons are taken down by regular side arms?
    That's true, Helo takes a few down while on Caprica with his pistol, and on Kobol a few are killed with pistols too. The only possible explanation that I can think of is that there are different classes of Centurions, which look identitical, but are possibly constructed of different materials or more heavily armoured. Those boarding the Galactica were obviously looking for a fight, and so may have been a more heavily armed combat type, while those on Caprica would have been a worker type (since they weren't expecting many/any humans to still be alive). Doesn't explain those on Kobol though.

That's true, Helo takes a few down while on Caprica with his pistol, and on Kobol a few are killed with pistols too.

Its very interesting because when Helo is on Caprica in the first season with Sharon, hiding in the shelter and has a firefight with the Cylons in the restaurant, his firearm clearly punctures very large holes completely through the Cylons and virtually takes them apart.

In Valley of Darkness however, when taken down with the very same standard issue pistol by Lee, The Cyclons armour is far less significantly damaged, with small punctures....

Interesting, and your theory about the different types is good but still leaves alot of inconsistancy not to mention they made absolutely no indication in appearance or armament in the show to suggest the cylons have different classes....hmmm! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

that's cos the standard ammo issued when off Galactica is explosive? When on missions pilots/marines are armed with explosive rounds.

However, for obvious reasons (ie. blowing out the hull), on Galactica the standard ammo is non-explosive.

quad_red wrote:
    that's cos the standard ammo issued when off Galactica is explosive? When on missions pilots/marines are armed with explosive rounds.

However, for obvious reasons (ie. blowing out the hull), on Galactica the standard ammo is non-explosive.

Perhaps, but that still wouldn't really explain the difference in damage done to the Cylons by Helo and Lee if that were the case....both were using the same weapon and Helo took them apart, Lee merely disabled them, both off Galactica....and Helo wasn't even on a misson, merely an exercise when the Cylon attack came...

• Advertisement
Advertisement