Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Tounging N Grooving

Options
  • 24-04-2006 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

(also posted in the diy/gardening)

My sis is currently getting an extension done.

It was the intention to use pitch pine solid flooring from the existing downstairs in the new upstairs. Unfortunatly glue was used for the origional instalation and the tounge n groove are getting damaged while taking the existing floor.

My questions are ....
    ... is it possible to get the tounge and groove re-cut on the boards.
    ... would it be economical ?
    ... does anyone where or who i might get this done.

Cheers,
    Thnks in advance,
    Charles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Hi

It depends really on the condition of the existing boards. If the existing tongues and grooves have to trimmed off and there are no straight edges it would take time. The boards would be narrower as a result.

Creating the tongue and grooves themselves would be handy enough using a spindle moulder type machine with power feed. One thing though is that if the boards are different thicknesses (they probably are) they will have to be marked on one side and put through the machine all facing the same direction and layed on the floor in the correct way or they may not be flush with one another.
    Or they could be planed to a consistent thickness to reveal a fresh surface and refinished.

I'd estimate workshop time to be about one to three hours depending on quantities and condition. (This doesn't include refinishing, i.e staining or spraying)

I can do this if you'd like, I have sent a PM with prices, not sure if I'm supposed to post them here....

Cheers
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Cheers Joe,

I received your pm - sounds perfect !

As I said, it's my sister & hubby so I'll pass on your details and info.

They are in Celbridge - i guess they'd want you to collect, if possible.

The orientation of the boards will be very obvious - as they are finished on the top surface only. The surface quality & thickness is pretty constant so i can't see that you'd need plane them.

I done my bit - they'll be in contact, thanks for you speedy reply.

Charles

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

The pitch pine floor boards mentioned above will not cover the intended floor space. So they are available for sale.

The quality of these boards is very good - beautiful rich grain.

As mentioned they need to have the tongue & groove recut, which Joe has provided a very affordable price for.

At a guess there will be enough of these boards (wide plank) to cover two average living rooms.

If anyone has any interest in these post here or PM me.

To buy new solid wood floors this size would cost in the region of €1200.

These nicer boards including the work Joe would do will end up costing half that.

Advertisement