Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train ticket question

Options
  • 24-04-2006 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

If I buy a DART ticket in a city centre DART startion like Grand Canal Dock or Pearse to a destination on the Kildare commuter line like Cherry Orchard, it is valid on the Luas between Connolly and Heuston. It is against the CIE byelaws to get off before the destination you paid for a ticket to if it would have cost more to get a ticket to where you get off. However, I can't buy a ticket to, say, Jervis St. from a DART station. So is it legal to do this? It is actually cheaper than two tickets by about 50c.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭Trampas

Not sure what your are saying but I would be nearly certain that it wouldn't be valid to use it on the luas as it is not part of CIE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Any journey that requires a change between Heuston and Connolly the ticket is valid on the 90/91/92 and the Luas between Heuston and Connolly unless you request otherwise. The ticket will have IFS or Includes Feeder Service on it somewhere to prove it is valid

The ticket is valid for the purpose of a transfer between Connolly and Heuston now given the Luas ticketing approach and the fact there is no validation there is nothing stoping you from getting out early as Luas is a zonal system and there is no rule in the Luas book about getting out early, tickets are sold as Station X Zone Y to Zone Z

There is a magic destination called Dublin City Centre if you arrive through Heuston which is any stop on the 90/91/92 bus or any stop on the Luas as far as Connolly, thus on that ticket there is no question you are allowed get out anywhere. I'm not sure what happens if you try to go to Dublin City Centre from the Connolly side will have to investigate

Just to be clear on the rules
    SI109 1984 wrote:
    6. When the fare to an intermediate station exceeds the fare to a more distant station, no person shall, for the purpose of travelling to such intermediate station, take or use or attempt to use a ticket for the more distant station with intent to avoid payment of the additional fare to such intermediate station. The liability to or infliction of any penalty incurred by the contravention of this Bye-Law shall not prejudice any right of the Board to treat such ticket as forfeited and to recover the full fare for the distance actually travelled by the offender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Mark, how do you know this includes Luas? Is the Luas actually a feeder service? Is this written anywhere?

I would have thought it only included the bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

paulm17781 wrote:
    Mark, how do you know this includes Luas? Is the Luas actually a feeder service? Is this written anywhere?
    It sure is Paul.....

Luas ticketing

It used to say IFB Includes Feeder Bus it now says Feeder Service, there is a huge pdf file to explain it http://www.platform11.org/passenger_info/ticketing.php#luas_valid

Key is to ensure you get the IFB/Luas printed on the ticket, it should work automatically from single and return tickets (unless you ask it to be removed) monthly and weekly is a gray area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

This city centre destination is interesting.
    Can I buy a ticket in Maynooth that will be valid on any stop on the Luas between
    Connolly and Heuston?

I need a guinea pig

The destination would be either Dublin City Centre or Heuston Luas 90

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Well according to the P11 fares matrix I can buy Maynooth Heuston.
    It would be interesting to see what reaction I get from the ticket office in Maynooth if I ask for the Dublin City Centre "station". I get the feeling they would tell me there's no such thing.:rolleyes:

I haven't a fare for any stations Connolly side to Heuston, its not in the matrix, actually that matrix comes from IE its the real deal

There is definitely a fare in the system for Heuston Bus Stop but thats not valid for use on Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What is the station number for city centre?

• Advertisement

100 I think but not sure

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MarkoP11 wrote:
    There is a magic destination called Dublin City Centre if you arrive through Heuston which is any stop on the 90/91/92 bus or any stop on the Luas as far as Connolly,

Hmm...

2. Single and Return Add-On Tickets NOT Valid on Luas
    Has Dublin City Centre Only = Not Valid
    Single and Return Add-On Tickets into Connolly or Heuston are NOT
    valid if they do not have:
    - LUAS or
    - INCL. FEEDER SERV
    Printed.

http://www.luas.ie/ftp/head3_US/IR%20Ticketing.pdf

By default the ticket has Incl Feeder service stamped on it

I'll scan one in

You can get a City Centre without the Luas fare if you want

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

No, it's ok, I was just pointing out what it said about the magic 'Dublin City Centre' stop. It shows (rather blurred) scans in the above PDF anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

MarkoP11 wrote:
    By default the ticket has Incl Feeder service stamped on it

Is the Luas considered a feeder service?

Yup, the Incl Feeder Service was Incl Feeder Bus until the Red Luas opened

Advertisement