Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Out A Parking Space??

Options
  • 24-04-2006 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I just moved into an apartment it town, (beside Jervis St Centre) which includes a parking space in an underground, secure car park with 24hr access.

I dont drive, so I was thinking about renting it out to someone, for say €100 per month.

Has anyone done this (either as the Owner or renter?)

I'm just wondering about the 'legality' of it, i.e. is it frowned upon by landlords?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

It could be in breach of the tenancy agreement. It could also breach the rules even for the property owner. The Revenue Commissioners will also need to know.

But if you can sort all that out, I think you might do better than €100 for Jervis St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

Why would the Revenue Comissioners need to know?

Would I have to register it as a taxable income??

I know it's probably worth more, but if I price it low, it should be let quickly and with less hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

In apartment blocks you can generally rent out the spaces. In my building there are about 10 spaces and only 2 are used by apartments (There are 36 apartments). I often see signs up renting them but I do not know if it is owners or tennants who do it. It may be frowned upon as you do not own the space but I am not certain. Maybe see if you have any friends who are interested. You could keep it relatively quiet that way and have a list of good excuses for the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

jebusmusic wrote:
    Why would the Revenue Comissioners need to know?

Would I have to register it as a taxable income??

I know it's probably worth more, but if I price it low, it should be let quickly and with less hassle.
    Because it is income you should register and yes it is taxable.

Unless your lease says you can sublet your landlord can kick you out and also report you to the tax man. As a landlord that is what I would do to protect myself from tax liability.

Advertisement