Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Options
  • 24-04-2006 9:24am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Currently 50% of the way through Lolita. What are peoples opinions on the book and more importantly, the reason that Nabokov wrote on such a topic. Was he a prevert? I was doing some researching last night but didn't turn up anything. Apparently Lolita could be loosely based on Lolita McMurray(?) who was Charlie Chaplins child-bride.

The writing in Lolita is a pleasure to read through... only probs is the picture of a little girl on the cover which means that I have to point the cover towards the ground when reading on the tube least someone gets the wrong idea :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

One of my fav books ever - read it several times.

I seem to recall reading a short story by Nabokov about an (unrequited) man/young girl relationship which the novel may have sprung from. Was in a book of short stories methinks. I would have thought newer prints of the novel might have notes on how the book came to be too.

The writing is indeed a pleasure. I wouldn't be concerned about reading on the tube however - the thoughts of the kind people who take offence by a literary classic aren't worth concerning yourself with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I have to say I like the book. It was much funnier than I'd expected. I'm reading another Nabokov book atm - Ada or Ardor - and it features another relationship that started out sexually at a young age and is incestuous to boot but I don't think it's preverted - this is a facet of human life so why not explore it. I mean, I don't think he glorifies Humbert Humbert's actions at all - we see that he's a pretty complicated guy and is not unaware of the sleaziness he gets involved in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I just finished it today, and i have to say i loved it. Beautifully written and I have to agree very funny in parts. Although it does seem to have a strange stigma attached to it, i got some strange looks while reading it and a few of my mates (males) were taken a bit a back when i mentioned the book to the as a recomendation , but the ladies ive mentioned it to were way more open to talking about it.
    Its hard to believe that english was his second language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Heh, i remember reading it when i was fourteen and my mum seeing me with it grabbing it from me and telling me i couldn't read it due to the subject matter.
    Next day, i popped into Charlie Byrnes bookstore picked myself up a copy and read it anyway. Its great how people are finding other things to censor these days :D

Nabokov just told a story, doesn't make him a pervert. As said earlier its just a facet of life, its fine to wirite about it, its ok to attempt to understand it, and its fine to discuss it. I think some ppl probably would get the wrong idea (my mum for instance :p) but as said earlier, if they can't appreciate such a well written piece of work they're not worth considering in that regard!

Great book alright, wonder how much it inspired that film the woodsman with Kevin Beacon if at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I love that book so much, it has to be one of my favourites! It has such beautiful prose in it, it's intelligent and it's funny. It's amazing that English is Nabakov's second language and STILL he can write it like that (and with bits of French peppered in there as well) I don't think Nabakov is a pervert for writing about a paedophilic relationship, he was just exploring the taboo. Plenty of authors write about Rape and Murder, but does that make them Rapists/Murderers?

What is so distrurbing about the book is the way Humbert Humbert's character is portrayed; not as a filthy old man, leering over a young girl, but as an educated, articulate, cultured Proffessor. He is a completely morally ambiguous character, it's impossible to say blankly that he is "good" or "bad" because he frequently claims in the book to want to preserve Lolita's innocence. In the end it is her who initiates sex with him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Piste wrote:
    It's amazing that English is Nabakov's second language and STILL he can write it like that (and with bits of French peppered in there as well)

My thoughts exactly. I especially like the way he dosen't translate the French bits and leaves the reader to do one of the following:

(a) understand (b) work it out (c) guess the meaning

Reading Lolita and The Grapes of Wrath recently has been such a breath of fresh air - both written so well.

Also the French says thing better than English can.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Just finished the book - had a version with an afterword by Craig Raine... must say that alot of the points he writes about opened my eyes to hidden little gems in the book.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone.

Oh yes I think I have that version too, it does give a good insight into hidden parts of the book you might have otherwise missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I reckon Kubrik or Nabokov if they were born 20 years later would not have touched this with a barge pole.

I still reckon the story would still have been told - Its a true reflection of man's baser instincts - we have to be aware of these.

My belief and from experience of friends (counsellors of these deranged individuals) they should have a different/devient legislation - for the simple protection of society.

I'm not a fan of the death penalty - but life imprisonent is sometimes the only solution!

• Advertisement
Advertisement