Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulysses

Options
  • 24-04-2006 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Labelled "unreadable" by most, overrated by others. Anybody read this and has anyone got thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've never got around to reading it. I'm saving it for a time when I'm not studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Correction: labelled unreadable by most Americans, who don't understand that it's written in Dublin turn-of-the-(last)-century slang. Dub slang hasn't changed that much, so it's easy enough to read if you're a dub. Fun, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

luckat wrote:
    Correction: labelled unreadable by most Americans, who don't understand that it's written in Dublin turn-of-the-(last)-century slang. Dub slang hasn't changed that much, so it's easy enough to read if you're a dub. Fun, too.
    Agreed. However, it does still 'consume'. I've started and stopped about 4 times now.

... starting for the 5th tonight.

How tough is it compared to Dubliners? That's the only Joyce I've read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Goebels

Dubliners is remarkably straightforward compared to Ulysses...

• Advertisement

I figured as much as Dubliners wasn't much of a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's complicated but don't worry about not getting every single reference and allusion - just go with the flow and enjoy. A knowledge of Irish history would help alright.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

It took me a few months to read last summer when working in Dublin. Overall I am glad that I read it to see what all the fuss is about... but found it extremely painful and unenjoyable. There were a few interesting parts though. It even made me go to Bloom's hotel just off temple bar to try and book a room for the night instead of the hotel I was usually in.

I reckon you should read it, but will not enjoy it. Perhaps if I had alot more time on my hands I would go back over the text with a fine toothcomb a number of times to get the added value of the many hidden little gems and word play.

Read that book was a nightmare, I can only imagine what it must have been like to write :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Took me the best part of 4 years to read it.

At first it's like landing in a foreign land without a map. You have to work a lot of things out for yourself.

The most important thing to remember is not all the dialogue is spoken. A lot of it is what the main characters are thinking.

I'd recommend the film made in the late 1960's with Milo O'Shea as a good starting point to get a general framework for the plot, and it's especially handy for working out Molly's dialogue at the end.

However, after getting through it the first time, it becomes very enjoyable to dip back into it.

Hard work, but very rewarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

It's been awhile since I read it. I particularly liked the part of the voyage where Ulysses was tied to a mast while they pass the sirens (sp?) who attempt to lure the ship onto the rocks. This metaphor reminds me of modern day advertising and "may the buyer beware!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

The first section is often where people come a cropper. The third chapter of the Telemaciad is often the last chapter that a lot of people read. Skip this chapter and you are in the relativley calm waters of the Bloomiad.

It is well worth getting RTEs dramatised reading. This is a complete delight and can make the more difficult parts the text more accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It is well worth getting RTEs dramatised reading. This is a complete delight and can make the more difficult parts the text more accessible.

True, however the quality of the cast on the RTE reading is a lot poorer than the movie version, however the RTE reading is an invaluable resource.

I still can't picture Bloom without picturing Milo O'Shea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭utopian

luckat wrote:

I find it very difficult to believe anyone who claims they found it "easy enough to read". You're saying you just ploughed through the "Oxen of the Sun" episode armed only with a knowledge of "Dublin turn-of-the-(last)-century slang"?

I'm not suggesting that Ulysses is unreadable, but parts of it certainly are.

Advertisement