Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DTO website

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 music-detected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Victor wrote:
    I tried searching (using the search box) for the following & got nothing:

cycle tracks
    cycle track
    cycle network
    strategic cycle network

The term 'cycling' produced the 'journey planner' (which does not indicate approved cycle tracks) and the 'Green-Schools Travel – DTO Safer Routes to School' document.

I think we can take it that the DTO is, in reality, no longer promoting cycling as a means of commuting in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The DTO is winding down. All they really have now is their traffic and demand model. The RPA are the talkers, the people with money behind them that are willing to make things happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Dublin Transport Authority will finally kill the DTO, after all the DTO was the offspring of the first attempt at a DTA.

DTO are great at talking but have done nothing really visable, the traffic model is great but its not well known to the public

MarkoP11 wrote:
    DTO are great at talking but have done nothing really visable,
    They were responsible for instituting the notorious cycle-lane regulations of 1997/1998 which effectively made nonsense of all cycle facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,224 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They've also vehemently opposed motorbikes in buslanes (and motorcycles in general) in spite of the fact that the ELECTED body responsible for Dublin, the City Council, is supportive of motorcycling.

The very limited use of buslanes by bikes in Dublin (Dame St. right turn, Dawson St. left turn, North Frederick St.) was pushed through by the city council in the face of DTO opposition.

Goodbye and good riddance.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

ninja900 wrote:
    The very limited use of buslanes by bikes in Dublin (Dame St. right turn, Dawson St. left turn, North Frederick St.) was pushed through by the city council in the face of DTO opposition.
    Are bicycles not allowed in buslanes?? Whoops I've been breaking the law for years in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

spacetweek wrote:
    Are bicycles not allowed in buslanes?? Whoops I've been breaking the law for years in that case.
    I'm pretty sure Ninja was refering to motorbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,224 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ninja900 wrote:
    motorbikes
    :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

in germany cyclists cant use bus lanes:
    i was on a bus in trier once and the bus driver went off on one when a cyclist was in the bus lane in front of him

(he then appologised for being late, by only 2mins :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

dmeehan wrote:
    in germany cyclists cant use bus lanes:

Of course they are not. Mixing the smallest, most easily unseen and most vulnerable road users in the same lane with 20 tonnes of metal that is constantly stopping/starting is the height of stupidity and recklesness. I'd be stunned if the Germans ever considered doing it.

It's only done here because cycle lanes are mostly token efforts to allow some civil servant to write a report to Europe showing how great we are.

John R wrote:
    Of course they are not. Mixing the smallest, most easily unseen and most vulnerable road users in the same lane with 20 tonnes of metal that is constantly stopping/starting is the height of stupidity and recklesness. I'd be stunned if the Germans ever considered doing it.
    The PDs changed the regulations back in 1998 to allow cars & trucks to drive in cycle lanes.

It's probably their idea of open competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 3 music-detected

The maps says at the top that the walk times are from the DART platforms. They could easily be 3 minutes walk from the entrance to Connolly. Sometimes it takes longer if there is a queue to get out!

Advertisement