Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Girl

Options
  • 23-04-2006 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Ok, I was out last night and got chatting to this girl from Lithuania.
    She was really sound and we got on well etc.... but there was a bit of a language barrier.
    We exchanged phone numbers but as I went to text her today, I realised I haven't the slightest idea what to say.
    Can anyone give some pointers on how to approach a situation like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭danteXXI

Haha thanks Sizzler, but I can't really use that on my phone.

So I should just jump right into the dating thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Vidic-is-good

Only if you want to go out with her. She wouldnt be giivng you a phone number if she didnt want to go out with you. The best thing to do is not text her and call her up. You might be afraid of sounding crap on the phone but a text message is bad. What if she lost your number and you text her saying 'hey, wanna meet up later?' She'll not be replying to a complete stranger.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

danteXXI wrote:
    Haha thanks Sizzler, but I can't really use that on my phone.

So I should just jump right into the dating thing?
    Just text her to ask would she like to meet up some time. She will either say, "yes", "no" or "I don't think so". The latter is most embarrassing, take it from me.

Anyway, once you get that far, you can start deciding how to take it from there.

Yeah, I'm just trying to plan ahead.

Like, I'm not sure the cinema would be a great date for a girl who's english isn't the best etc...basically, it feels like all my dating experience is out the window on this one and even general 'chit chat' might be difficult.
    Has anyone here any wisdom or experience to share?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I am not sure how old the girl is, however if she is over 25, the cinema may not be the way to go, I say this cos I have a couple of lithuanian friends and they are not into the movie culture, however I think you should ring her and ask her out for coffee/tea and a chat, if you like her go for it, I was in Lithuania for a couple of weeks, and they may seem reserved but if they like you, then they like you, so go for it, also show her the sights of Dublin (if you live there, she may not have seen all/or any of the attractions) we have quite a lot in common with Lithuanians in terms of size of country, predomiantiy agriculture (excuse spelling) pagan background, the whole domination thing with England (us) the soviet (with them), if you need any other tips pm. I hope this helps, but go for it, you could have a really nice time.

Ok, I'll give that a shot.
    Thanks McGinty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

danteXXI wrote:
    Has anyone here any wisdom or experience to share?
    Go out for drinks with her. Show interest in her and her background (read up on the place so you can drop an obscure detail into the conversation). Avoid correcting her English. If you find her attractive be very direct and tell her. Use a condom.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you find her attractive be very direct and tell her. Use a condom.
    These two activities can be separated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Dont go to the cinema thats just too lame.

Take the girl out for some good old Dublin sight seeing -Howth head, Guinness factory, the zoo, any of the beaches! the list is endless...if she likes her drink bring her to johnny foxes or in around any of the traditional irish bars.

BUT dont go doing all of these in one day ;) , spread them out and soon you'll have plenty to talk about and the language barrier wont be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I dont Dublin that well, but go somewhere nice for a long walk, give you plenty of time to chat and have a laugh. Maybe show her some historic points in Dublin or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Just call her, ask her out for a drink and take it from there. The rest will follow if it's meant to...

Hey, at least you got her number, I scored with this stunning Czech girl on Friday night and I didn't take her no due to being wasted (so my mates tell me anyway!) :(

Ok, that stuff sounds great, but for now I'll try to keep it simple with a chat over a drink to try and bridge some gaps before we do any proper dating.
    Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Betsy79

just start txtn her with chit chat things like how her day was and all that and ask if she wants to go for a drink or so.

oh yeah! and a very important thing!! sometimes you could get things she says wrong because of the language barrier! i'm austrian and going out with an irish for about a year now and he sometimes got pissed off or annoyed with me just cause he understood something wrong i did't even mean the way he thought! it's a different country she's from with a slight different sence of humor or sarcasm.

but i wish ya good luck!!
    keep us informed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Call, don't text.

UK and Eire are text mad, in mainland europe texting is less common. Also, if you ring her you can gauge her level of interest rather than waiting for her to understand what u txtspk abt.

Have a plan, i.e. "let's go to the zoo" but be open if she prefers something else. She may like you but you must make her feel comfortable, public places etc. She is a stranger (I guess) here and accents etc are new so make sure to speak clearly to avoid confusion.

Don't feed her drinks, she'll not thank you in the morning.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Betsy79

biko wrote:
    Call, don't text.

UK and Eire are text mad, in mainland europe texting is less common. Also, if you ring her you can gauge her level of interest rather than waiting for her to understand what u txtspk abt.

Have a plan, i.e. "let's go to the zoo" but be open if she prefers something else. She may like you but you must make her feel comfortable, public places etc. She is a stranger (I guess) here and accents etc are new so make sure to speak clearly to avoid confusion.

Don't feed her drinks, she'll not thank you in the morning.

Good luck!

you damn right! speak very clearly ;) me and my bf had some arguements bout some stupid missunderstandings!

Well when we exchanged numbers she clearly asked me to text her, and I woudl be nervous enough ringing a girl anyway without having to worry about the language barrier.

So yeah, I'll try to bridge some gaps first then I'll follow up the ideas you guys have given me. Thanks.

Betsy79 wrote:
    you damn right! speak very clearly ;) me and my bf had some arguements bout some stupid missunderstandings!
    I've been there too. Nuances in language can make things very difficult indeed.
    It's not what you say but the way you say it...

danteXXI wrote:
    Well when we exchanged numbers she clearly asked me to text her, and I woudl be nervous enough ringing a girl anyway without having to worry about the language barrier.

So yeah, I'll try to bridge some gaps first then I'll follow up the ideas you guys have given me. Thanks.
    http://www.phrasebase.com/english/phrases/index.php?action=language
    Even has a Flirting section :D

Jaysus biko, that thing's deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

dante, I've been in your situation a few times (I've a thing for foreigners!! :))

Go for a drink. Seriously, keep it simple. Not only will the few drinks make things so much easier, but it's simple and universal.

If she feels like getting out of the pub, I can strongly suggest the Iveagh Gardens. These are extremely romantic, practicaly unknown, gardens in Dublin City Centre. Directions: follow the Luas up Harcourt Street. Take the second left (or maybe third - second or third.) They are doing building work there. Walk through the little passage way. You'll find yourself in this cool little park with a maze, waterfall, squirrels, big rocks, old statues, lots of cool things. It's very nice.

Cinema is defo a no no!

Good luck!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Just call her, texting is useless, it only shows a little interest. Calling shows alot more courage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

biko wrote:

That has been added to my favorites! I need to find me a spanish lady to try these out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

call her dude.... these foreign wimin are improving the look of the place all the time! very different culture in that neck of the woods though... get the 31 bus up to the Howth head summit, and go walking on the trails around by the coast... it's absolutely class if the weather is good! and it kills a few hours!

if you're serious, it'll give her unbelievable kicks if you try to learn some of her lingo... if you've got cash, go to www.cheappimsleur.com - pimsleur languag learning... it's the quickest way to get pronounciation right from the beginning!

micky_007 wrote:
    pimsleur languag learning... it's the quickest way to get pronounciation right from the beginning!

No way...her teaching me will be great way to connect.

Advertisement