Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest town in the north west

Options
  • 23-04-2006 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all,

I've lived in the north west (donegal town) a ew years back and I really like the whole area. Im thinking of settleing down somewhere in the region and I'd like to hear your views on good family towns with good ammenities.

Sligo is definately a no go

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, I think Donegal Town is a nice enough town, and has OK amenities.

It depends on what you want I suppose. Pubbing is well catered for, but there is no cinema, and any notions of shopping centres etc get appealed on a tit-for-tat basis between 2 developers :mad:

Also, house prices in Donegal seem a bit dearer than the likes of Ballybofey. Possibly down to demand exceeding the amount of construction?
    The people there are generally friendly I reckon which is a plus.

[PIMP]
    I would try and pimp Ballintra too, but alas, it has nothing really going for it!
    However, it's central between Ballyshannon and Donegal Town (it's just off the N15), with easy access to Rossnowlagh and Murvagh GC and beach.:) Oh, and it does have ADSL enabled exchange (something Laghey doesn't have)! ;) It has a butcher, a health clinic (dispensary), community centre, 3 churches of different religions, 2 primary schools, 2 hairdressing salons, 2 grocery shops and 2 pubs! [/PIMP] :D

Twin Towns is a pretty well positioned area too, with handy enough access to Letterkenny, Lifford/Strabane, Donegal Town, etc and relatively OK amenities. They just need to get traffic issues sorted out IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Glenties is very nice and quaint. As is Malin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Naturally, I am prejudiced in favour of the Twin-Towns, and especially Ballybofey, but I am keeping it's real attractions secret, of course ;) .

P. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

i hear glenties is taking this years tidy town seriously.

byte

Naturally, I am prejudiced in favour of the Twin-Towns, and especially Ballybofey, but I am keeping it's real attractions secret, of course ;).

P.
    ________

Is this despite all the bad press you gave it with regards the soft drinks factory that resides in the town? :p

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    Is this despite all the bad press you gave it with regards the soft drinks factory that resides in the town? :p

One misplaced factory doe's not make a town, although I regard "The bad publicity" I personally generated reflected on the factory estate/B] in question, and not the town/community as a whole .

It is the subject of another thread, that will shortly be updated by me ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

guys

this forum is the north west, not donegal. SLIGO LEITRIM & DONEGAL. tsk tsk:D

I have to say though that donegal is one lovely county. but if you peace of mind, cheap drink, good schools etc i have leitrim.

It may be rural but it is stunning.

not a great job front but there is masonite and MBNA.

And it is commuting distance to major areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

T*ss*r. Stop linking to irrelevant threads.

always liked ballinamore!an unfriendly town now was mohill!Quite dodgy.am from leitrim village myself.

dazzler

YOur from leitrim village and you refer to Mohill as strange :):):)

Do you know smithers, he is from there also

• Advertisement

Yeah i know him!Ive the same first name as him!But mohill, hmmm i never felt safe after a disco there.It could be quite dodgy and its really hard to a taxi out of!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

nanook wrote:
    And it is commuting distance to major areas.

Yeah, I guess you could commute from Letrim to Donegal every day :p

Where in Letrim?

civvie

I am not rising to the leitrim abuse but i will say this for the county.

We have the cheapest electricity bill in the country so there naaaahhhhhh..

Donegal town is only an hour from my home village, i am the king of the village you see.

PLEASE NOTE!.

It appears that this thread was NOT started by our moderator 'muffler', but by a sicko imposter using the name:- muffler. ?..

Muffler has never used a (Full stop (.) after his name ?...therefore IMHO this is not a valid/legal thread, and should - in fairness - be deleted, in full forthwith. :mad: .

byte

Yep, the original poster is now banned.

I hadn't noticed at first, as he/she had muffler's avatar also (I never checked the stars or postcount). But anyway, seems like a good topic for discussion none the less! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

the correct answer is : BUNCRANA.

thanks for playing, do come again.

Goodshape wrote:
    the correct answer is : BUNCRANA.

thanks for playing, do come again.

God, Goodshape,

Thats the best laugh I have had all day, and it was badly needed. Hope you enjoy the proposed rubbish dump on the pier :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Paddy20 wrote:
    God, Goodshape,

Thats the best laugh I have had all day, and it was badly needed. Hope you enjoy the proposed rubbish dump on the pier :D .

I think he meant Bundoran.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    PLEASE NOTE!.

It appears that this thread was NOT started by our moderator 'muffler', but by a sicko imposter using the name:- muffler. ?..

Muffler has never used a (Full stop (.) after his name ?...therefore IMHO this is not a valid/legal thread, and should - in fairness - be deleted, in full forthwith. :mad: .

Spot on Paddy. The imposter is now otherwise imposed and his OP edited and the sig/link etc removed.

This thread is going quite well so I'll leave it as it is now.

nanook wrote:

Donegal town is only an hour from my home village, i am the king of the village you see.

Has to be kinlough or glenfarne!Me takes a chance on glenfarne!

• Advertisement

no where near dazzler, an hour from kinlough to donegal, are you riding a tricycle.

I come from Drumkeerin, small but only an hour ish from Donegal town.

I remember a friend of mine, i have to state he was a rally driver, made letterkenny to manorhamilton in an hour after the donegal rally one year, long time ago before speed cameras

Advertisement