Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.4ghz Radio

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Yes - we (Green Hobbies) ordered one for a pal recently.

Upsides: It looks like the answer to the dreams of anyone into short range flying/racing, where there are many people flying/racing at the same time.

The receiver is on two high frequency channels at the same time, and selects "free" channels, identifying to the transmitter by code. So no matter who is already using RC gear nearby, your system picks and locks onto free air when you switch on.

There are two specs, one suitable for US and another for Euro law.
    To be strictly legal it should be indoors. But I can see lots of modellers using them outside!
    I contacted the regulatory authority about them. The legal situation- you need a license (for the reception footprint in that district) if you use it outdoors - so clubs should be able to get a license for their locality, and use therein.

Downsides, despite the claims, it is shortish range, tho always enough for cars, and smaller planes. Also it is direct line-of-sight only. Don't go behind a tree, or under a flyover on a racetrack, you might not get out the other side!

Second downside - that is an expensive and complex (fragile? maybe) receiver to put into a ground based model. It would want to be wrapped up carefully.

I'll let you know how Dermot is getting on with his one (DX-6) soon as I can find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Yup,
    One guy racing at our club bought it recently and finds it very good with no interferance problems ;)
    Spektrum Radio set with spare Receiver

On the other hand.
    I dont see the point in paying that much for a set.
    I had one ofThese 40Mhz systems
    And never in one and a half years of use had a glitch with it.
    Decided to change to THIS SET
    And am gone from top three in our club down to fifth and by that I am a long way behind.
    So. I may end up getting rid of the Sanwa and going back to the old one.. ( which means I will have to buy that system again as I old the old one :o DOH..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

cheers guys, looks a tad pricy heh on the modelsport site ...

Only time will tell how tough (vibration and impact resistent) the new type of receivers are.
    I haven't heard any scare stories yet, just the wonderful reports emanating from those who want us all to buy one! (Oooh - I'm just toooo cynical )
    Before putting my personal cash on the line (the stuff I have already works just fine ! ) , I want to see how they last in use.....

So far - so good. However it's early days.....

coolwings wrote:
    (the stuff I have already works just fine ! ) ,

Pity you didnt say that before I bought my Sanwa stuff :o

Those are words I will remember from now on :D

• Advertisement

Uh Oh...Hit "enter" key too soon.
    I was going to say that each DX receiver is really two receivers.
    So will that mean there's twice as many components to fail after a bumpy stop or bash?

I have seen dual conversion receivers in the past, (Futaba), apparently very good stuff, very expensive BTW, that were too fragile in actual use to be acceptable by my personal quality control standards.....even though they could receive over a mile and a half (and lots of people said how good they were) - they were always breaking and had too short a working life for me.

vectra wrote:
    Pity you didnt say that before I bought my Sanwa stuff :o
    Those are words I will remember from now on :D
    What happened? - I used Sanwa (my 1st radio - liked it) before changing up to JR.
    Still have one Sanwa receiver (that works ok) in action.

Did you have a bad experience with Sanwa?
    Is it just that you got a new computer rc, and then something newer pops up? hate that...

coolwings wrote:
    What happened? -

Just cannot get the "feel" of it properly.
    I was able to blast round the track using my old gear but with this one,
    I cannot get my slowing/braking sequence just righ and am either overshooting the corners or slowing too soon
    The whole driving feel is different if you know what I mean? :(

Hmmmm...sounds like you might have to go back a bit before you can go forward.......

You know what I mean .... the old figure of eight "round the bottles" practise sessions ... until the new one gets to be as familiar as the old trannie.

Have you indentified what's the different feature that's throwing you? Stick length - return spring tension....?
    Did you change from steering wheel to twin stick or vice versa?

coolwings wrote:
    Have you indentified what's the different feature that's throwing you? Stick length - return spring tension....?
    Did you change from steering wheel to twin stick or vice versa?

The main difference I feel in this one is when I let the throttle off for a corner, the car will not slow enough. Hence I have to "dab" the brakes but on this one the brake travel is very "shallow" thus the wheels tend to lock and slow me down too much.
    With the pld handset I rarely used the brakes I was able to do lap after lap without ever needing them really unless I had to slam them on to avoid a pileup or a spinning car in my path :(

And no,
    I stayed with Stick.

• Advertisement

It'll take a surprising amount of practise to drop the old way and get it "automatic in your fingers"

coolwings wrote:
    It'll take a surprising amount of practise to drop the old way and get it "automatic in your fingers"

OR
    just buy another one of my old sets and forget the new one. :D

I have the exact same sanwa gear in my Hyper Vectra :)

tallus wrote:
    I have the exact same sanwa gear in my Hyper Vectra :)

Yeah, i guess it would be fine for messing about like that but when it comes down to tight racing it is a different kettle of fish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

hey,
    would there be any particular reason radio gear in a certain rc should repeatedly fail?

hey,
    would there be any particular reason radio gear in a certain rc should repeatedly fail?

Could you be a little more descriptive ?:confused:

hey,
    I have found that whenever I fly my airplanes into the ground at high speed, the RC repeatedly fails! :p

vectra wrote:
    Yeah, i guess it would be fine for messing about like that but when it comes down to tight racing it is a different kettle of fish :D
    so Sanwa Gemini II is not suitable for racing ?

tallus wrote:
    so Sanwa Gemini II is not suitable for racing ?

Never said that :p

What I did say is that I cant seem to get to grips with it :o
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I run a Spektrum DX3 on my FG and I think its great. Its a lot better than the Hitec Aggressor that comes with it. The range is great (200meters+) and there is no glitch or jitter. This is especially good on an spark ignition car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement