Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mexican Pine finish

Options
  • 22-04-2006 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

Relatively new to this woodworking so looking for some advice. I want to move on to bigger projects e.g. bookshelves, sideboards and I already have some furniture (bought) that is mexican pine or has a mexican pine finish. I would like to make the other pieces to match. Does anyone know how to achieve the finish and where to get the right timber? Is it actually called mexican pine??
    Sorry if this is a bit basic!
    Daniel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dsmyth

Sorry for the double post, and thanks to all that have read the post to date. Is the question even sensible?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

My understanding of Mexican Pine is pine that (a) is pine that was salvaged and made into furniture (b) new pine that has been 'distressesd/aged'. Both have a wax type finish.

So you have two choices, scour the salvage yards for old timber and use that. Or use new stuff and distress it yourself. I would be inclined to take the second option as it is cheaper and more fun. 'Antiquing' furniture is an art form in itself but here is how I used to do it.

Make the piece
    Apply a base coat.
    This is trial and error( practice on scrap) using a stain/dye that is a light yellow in colour. Or use a light Briwax.
    Bash it with a set of keys to add random marks.
    Try and figure out where wear marks would be after a lifetime of use and cut back or dirty the finish as necessary.
    Add age spots/fly spots by flicking on black paint. Use an old toothbrush and flick the bristles with your thumb.
    Finish it off with a coloured wax if necessary.

http://www.briwaxwoodcare.com/briwaxx.htm

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dsmyth

Thanks for that fingalian, Ill give it a bash!
    Hopefully i will be able to post a picture of the finished product, but i wouldnt recommend holding your breath.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement