Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood Pellet & Oil Burner

Options
  • 22-04-2006 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello All
    I am new to this forum. I am seroiusly considering installing a wood pellet boiler for central heating and domestic hot water. I also, however, would like to hold on to my internal kerosene burner. Just a few questions that some of you experienced posters might help me with.
    1. Is it possible to have both systems running side by side or could there be possible conflicts?
    2. I intend housing the wood pellet boiler in an outside shed. My oil burner is in a utility room. What type of piping needs to be laid to outdoor shed and will this connect directly to flow and return from current oil burner?
    3. While I am doing this work I was also thinking of putting in a simple zoned system i.e. the ability to use the wood pellet boiler to heat rads only or to heat just domestic hot water only. Am I right in assuming that for this to happen that there needs to be a direct feed from boiler to cylinder in upstairs hotpress or is there more involved. Maybe its more hassle than it is worth?
    Any help on these items would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Evergreen

Hello Hawthorn _PI

1. Yes it is possible to have both systems run side by side, of course it is totally dependant on the type of system that you install. We have a boiler that can take control of the oil or gas boiler so if it runs out of pellets or the feed system malfunctions then the boilers heat management will switch the heat requirement over to the auxiliary boiler.

2. for pellet boilers with vacuum feed systems the pellet store can be up to 20 meters away from the boiler. The type of tubing required for this job if specific to the purpose though, pellets passing through a plastic hose create static, pellet dust burns pretty good if a spark occurs so you have to be as careful with pellets as oil sometimes. The type of hose required has a continuous copper spiralling in the hose wall, when you connect the hose to the boiler you strip back some of the copper wire and earth it to the boiler chassis so that any static build up is dissipated through the electrical earthing system.

3. Plumbing the zones separately is the way to go, that way the pellet boiler takes control of your heating requirements through it's heat management system. For example, in the Winter - if you house is nice and warm with no heat requirement, if somebody takes a bath the boiler senses a reduction in hot water temperature and can reheat the water without having to heat the rest of your house more. Similarly, in the Summer - the pellet boiler can manage your hot water needs without the rads heating up.

Hope this helps you some? If you have any more questions then send me a PM and I'll be happy to help you out.

Regards,
    Ned

Advertisement