Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kanye working on Common's new album 'Finding Forever'

Options
  • 21-04-2006 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

I know J Dilla isn't around anymore,but Kanye producing another Common album?Be was the dullest and most repetitive Common album to me,certainly not touching his classics Like Water For Chocolate or Resurrection on any level.I'm not much of a KW fan anyway,but doesn't Common usually switch producers for every new album?Love to see him working with RJD2,9th,?uestlove,Madlib and Premo on his newest. :(
    West has found time to work on Finding Forever, Common's next LP (see "Common Wants Kanye For His Own Forever (No Diamonds Required)"), which West already has predicted will win the Grammy for Rap Album of the Year in 2007.

"You will be happy with Finding Forever," he said. "We're halfway done. We're going to be dropping in September, and the first single is going to be called 'The Glory.' I'm just excited. I want to scream it from the top of the mountaintop."

Finding Forever will be the second album West has produced for Common, after last year's Be.

"We're back at home in the studio, talking sh-- about any and everything and doing music as a sidebar," he said. "We'd get in the studio and just talk sh--, and I'd be like, 'Oh, by the way, listen to this beat,' and we'd work on it. It was a real easy environment, and I might have a couple of beats off [my next album] Graduation [coming from the sessions]."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1528967/20060418/story.jhtml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Orizio wrote:
    Be was the dullest and most repetitive Common album to me,certainly not touching his classics Like Water For Chocolate or Resurrection on any level.

I only looked into Common after hearing so much about Be and I was disappointed, but after hearing Resurrection I was really impressed. I like Kanye though so maybe it could work, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

RJD2 has gone a bit flat in 2006. The album with Aceyalone isn't that great and the new Soul Position is good but not as good as the EP or 8 Million Stories. I don't know if his style of production would suit Common either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Makaveli wrote:
    RJD2 has gone a bit flat in 2006. The album with Aceyalone isn't that great and the new Soul Position is good but not as good as the EP or 8 Million Stories. I don't know if his style of production would suit Common either.

Well Common rejected some RJD2 beats for Be so seemingly RJD2 thinks his beats are suited to Common.

Even if RJD2 has fallen off a bit this year,I would rather here Common experimenting with new producers like him then putting out another Be full of repetive Kanye beats.Outside of the Intro and J Dilla produced Love Is..,there was nothing on that album that I could listen to repeatedly.

I know yeah, Be was a boring album. I find Kanye's production too repetative and samey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭billstraighten

i also was new to common and got " be" and at the time i was pretty impressed but compared to his other albums it wasnt as great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

Outside of the Intro and J Dilla produced Love Is..,there was nothing on that album that I could listen to repeatedly

du not like the corner?? thought that was a great song myself.great production and he flows perfectly wit d beat, one of my fave common songs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Some interesting ideas there for potential producers to work with him, a nice mix of all those mentioned in 1st post could make for an exellent album and he needs one album the last two albums. Maybe throw Prince Paul into the mix too, was always a fan of his stuff. whats happening with the whole kanye producing everyones music thing is the same as the neptunes a couple years back, he's flavour of the month so if you want record sales he's the man to go to.

Some interesting ideas there for potential producers to work with him, a nice mix of all those mentioned in 1st post could make for an exellent album and he needs one album the last two albums. Maybe throw Prince Paul into the mix too, was always a fan of his stuff. whats happening with the whole kanye producing everyones music thing is the same as the neptunes a couple years back, he's flavour of the month so if you want record sales he's the man to go to.

Well I would say Kanye and the Neptunes are here to stay,D4L etc are more like flavours of the month.However I rate the Neptunes pretty highly,they have been around for years,have their own distinctive sound,and put out some serious production with NERD,Clipse and Kelis.Pharrells newest stuff was weak but Lapdance never ceases to amaze me. ;)

Kanye has nicked the styles of about a dozen different producers,making his style very generic and shallow to me,never standing up to repeated plays.Common came strong on Corner,but again that Kanye beat...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

No, don't get me wrong with my comment. I wasn't saying that kanye or the neptunes were here today gone tomorrow, just merely that there are certain artists who become flavour of the month for periods for other artists to work with. I love the NERD stuff, "in search of" is a great album as far as i'm concerned. But there was a time a while ago when everyone including britney spears was being produced by them, and that seems to be the case now with Kanye, with puffy and michael jackson talking of working with him. Neither artists are likely to disappear. and i agree, there's nothing particularly new or inventive about Kanye's style

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I have to agree with spacecoyote. it did happen with the neptunes. every song that was out had a certain sound and tbh it was annoying. then other producers startin 'biting' that style. now kanye is the man of the moment and already producers, mainly in england are using his style. speeded up samples and bongos all over the place. its ridiculous. and anyways the best producer out there is Just Blaze

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote:
    I have to agree with spacecoyote. it did happen with the neptunes. every song that was out had a certain sound and tbh it was annoying. then other producers startin 'biting' that style. now kanye is the man of the moment and already producers, mainly in england are using his style. speeded up samples and bongos all over the place. its ridiculous. and anyways the best producer out there is Just Blaze

Right now,its between 9th and Just.Both serious producers.I tend to rather 9th's more soulful sound though.

However,my point was that the Neptunes sahouldn't be underrated as producers,They have put out some incredible albums,and while most of Pharrell's new stuff is rubbish,every producer goes through a grey patch.

BTW who produced Touch The Sky?

Just Blaze.

Makaveli wrote:
    Just Blaze.

I'm suprised though that there was no 'Just Blaaaaaze' at the start of the track.Without it,most will just presume its a Kanye track(like me for example)

Well that brings the Kanye beats I like down to 2. ;)

Advertisement