Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smashing Pumpkins Reforming Official !!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Oh, so it really is happening this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

It's not much of a reformation of 50% of the members are missing, particularly if James Iha is one of the members missing. There is a danger this is going to be more of Billy Corrigan's solo stuff under the Smashing Pumpkins name.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Serbian wrote:
    It's not much of a reformation of 50% of the members are missing, particularly if James Iha is one of the members missing. There is a danger this is going to be more of Billy Corrigan's solo stuff under the Smashing Pumpkins name.

I think you are giving far too much credit to Iha. Good guitarist yes, and i like the guy, but Billy runs the show. He is as close to a one man band as you can get. Incredibly talented and the soul of the Pumpkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Thats not Smashing Pumpkins to be honest....
    Its Billy and Jimmy on another project using the Smashing Pumpkins name. I am a huge pumpkins fan and I'm very dissapointed that Billy would go and use the name Smashing Pumpkins for his new band when it only contains 2 original members.

Maybe with the flop of his solo album he thinks he can regain something by using the Smashing Pumpkins name. Fingers crossed he doesnt f*ck it up.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ThaMasta

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Thats not Smashing Pumpkins to be honest....
    Its Billy and Jimmy on another project using the Smashing Pumpkins name. I am a huge pumpkins fan and I'm very dissapointed that Billy would go and use the name Smashing Pumpkins for his new band when it only contains 2 original members.

Maybe with the flop of his solo album he thinks he can regain something by using the Smashing Pumpkins name. Fingers crossed he doesnt f*ck it up.

Seriously, the pumpkins were Corgan and Chamberlin...Iha couldnt play with himself...literally,.. Corgan played all his parts on Siamese Dream...think he played alot of the bass as well.

You tellin me you'll miss Iha's songwriting?...or his great stage presence or personality????...I know I wont cos he never had any in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ThaMasta wrote:
    Seriously, the pumpkins were Corgan and Chamberlin...Iha couldnt play with himself...literally,.. Corgan played all his parts on Siamese Dream...think he played alot of the bass as well.

You tellin me you'll miss Iha's songwriting?...or his great stage presence or personality????...I know I wont cos he never had any in the first place.

Erm, by your logic Zwan should have been just as good as the Pumpkins and they really weren't. Iha played and sang well and contributed to the Pumpkins' sound.

John2 wrote:
    Erm, by your logic Zwan should have been just as good as the Pumpkins and they really weren't. Iha played and sang well and contributed to the Pumpkins' sound.

Iha did nothing for the Pumpkins pal...that band were/is all about Corgan. iha contributing to the pumpkins sound?...dont make me laugh.
    I quite enjoyed Zwan..different to the Pumpkins dont you think?? or were you waiting for Pumpkins II??

Corgan is a creative genious...Iha wrote "take me down" and B-sides...thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I wasn't expecting Zwan to sound like the Pumpkins but I was expecting them to be great but they weren't great. They were all right but I'd rarely listen to the album. Billy wrote the songs but he didn't write every little guitar riff, bassline and drum fill. The others added their own stamp to Billy's songs. The Pumpkins were a band, not a bunch of session players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Regardless of who played what for who, you can't say that Iha did nothing for the band. I believe he did, and he has some very nice vocals on a lot of songs (go, take me down and also does a lot of backing vocals). Besides what you hear from the CD, the pumpkins was built on the foundation of friendship and mutual interest first by James and Billy, the relationship between D'arcy and James is also filled with emotions. You can not expect that these emotions will play no part in the reformation of Smashing Pumpkins. Regardless of what you think of the skill level of any member, the emotional implications will cause effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

www.smashingpumpkins.com is back too - instead of redirecting to billycorgan.com it's got it's page and you can sign up for a mailing list.

I think Jimmy will have a bigger musical influence seeing as his album was better than corgan's.

cormie wrote:
    Regardless of who played what for who, you can't say that Iha did nothing for the band. I believe he did, and he has some very nice vocals on a lot of songs (go, take me down and also does a lot of backing vocals). Besides what you hear from the CD, the pumpkins was built on the foundation of friendship and mutual interest first by James and Billy, the relationship between D'arcy and James is also filled with emotions. You can not expect that these emotions will play no part in the reformation of Smashing Pumpkins. Regardless of what you think of the skill level of any member, the emotional implications will cause effect.

Ok maybe I was a little harsh saying he did nothing, but Corgan and Chamberlin were the only two musicians that stood out. I personnaly dont mind if Iha or D'arcy are involved or not, for the simple reason that when I listen to SP I hear Billys writing/playing/soloing/expermentation/etc and Jimmys brilliant drumming. I dont hear any stamp left on the music by the other two, because they didnt leave any. Corgan decided what was what in that band, and rightfully so, as he was the best equipped to do so.

Advertisement