Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday motor commuting heaven

Options
  • 21-04-2006 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I wonder why the roads are so quiet on fridays ?

At first I thought it was coz people dont want to take the car so they can go
    for a pint in the evening, then I realised that would imply the trains would be overcrowded but that doesnt seem to be the case on fridays.

So I thought maybe it's people part-timing, pulling sickies or cycling / walking to work... maybe a combination of things...

Friday is definitely my favorite day to take the car.

Anybody got an opinion on why it's so quiet ?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Today its down to the schools being off

Be all back to normal next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Now that is strange. I have been thinking about this a while now. I cycle from Clonee to Swords everyday and noticed this.

Today was more quiet because of schools and many builders having this week off so that doesn't count.

Even if I use public transport to Swords I have noticed its quicker on a Friday then any other day :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Part time workers only doing monday to thursday? Yes, it's possible. :)

Oh wait. You already said part-timing. So I'll just agree with that one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yeah - I've noticed that Friday thing too and can't come up with a good explanation, flexitime people, 4 day weekers, etc.....

I have noticed that if its raining on a Friday the traffic is as bad as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yes, I've noticed this too and often wondered about it. I agree that its due to to a) part timers and b) people pulling sickies to extend their weekend.

Of course Friday evening traffic is generally chaos as there are a lot of college students etc. on the move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BrianD3 wrote:
    Yes, I've noticed this too and often wondered about it. I agree that its due to to a) part timers and b) people pulling sickies to extend their weekend.
    Roughly 40% of sick days are taken on Mondays or Fridays :eek:

All I can think of is people taking a longer weekend - anyone have stats on single days taken off to see if Friday is more popular ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Fridays good, Wednesdays BAD. Why is it that traffic is always so mental on Wednesdays? Is it because sales reps usually go on the road on Wednesdays or business people travel up midweek, or what is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

BrianD3 wrote:

Of course Friday evening traffic is generally chaos as there are a lot of college students etc. on the move.

I find that the later I leave work on a Friday, the better the traffic is. I'd normally leave work at 3.30 - 4pm & can take up to an hour to get home. But if I stay until 5.30ish it only take 20 minutes. I guess alot of people leave early for the weekend. Maybe that also has a knock-on affect in the mornings in that rush hour is spread out a bit more as people get in early to get out early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

yep Friday is POETS day.......push off early tomorrows saturday.......(cleaner version.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some businesses specificly start / finish early on Fridays, e.g. electricians.
    Roughly 40% of sick days are taken on Mondays or Fridays :eek:
    Roughly 40% of work days are Mondays and Fridays :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Alot of people who normally drive go for a pint after work on Fridays and either get a lift or bus it in and out of the city.Well thats my theory.......

Advertisement