Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of rats in compost bin?

Options
  • 21-04-2006 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

HI guys, we have some furry friends in our compost bin, not sure whether they have taken up residence or are just visiting, either way would like them to take a hike.

Have put down poison, in pieces of piping near the wall near the bin, the poison is disappearing, however, they are rats are not.

has anyone any advice for me - there is absolutely no cooked food or animal waste in the bin, they are eating everything that goes in there in terms of veg peelings, etc. how do we stop them coming to visit?

Thanks

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Get either a terrier or a cat.. either will be the end of your rat problem within a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Stop putting food of ALL types in the composter for a while - if there is no food they will go elswhere. Leave the poison down even though the food has been removed - at least they will eat more poison in the absence of food.

I had a similar problem with mice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

thanks guys.

well, have had poison down to no effect. This afternoon had a baby rat playing on the step outside our patio doors, trying to get into the house! Our toddler thought it was hilarious.

Have now put down some traps as well. SHould I call environmental health? From what I hear they just put down traps and poison and don't actually go and find the nest and destroy it, which is what I think should be done.

any suggestions?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vulpiner

Ellechim wrote:
    thanks guys.

well, have had poison down to no effect. This afternoon had a baby rat playing on the step outside our patio doors, trying to get into the house! Our toddler thought it was hilarious.

Have now put down some traps as well. SHould I call environmental health? From what I hear they just put down traps and poison and don't actually go and find the nest and destroy it, which is what I think should be done.

any suggestions?

M

God, if your toddlers running about in the yard and theres rats there, youll have to invest in a cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

Hi Vulpiner, we can't get a cat I'm afraid as my MIL who stays with us frequently is highly allergic to all animal hair. Several of my neighbours have cats (in fact nearly all of them) and they are frequent visitors to our garden but they don't seem to make any difference.

Thanks for the post though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Move the compost bin somewhere else for a while (in your shed perhaps?), replace it with a metal trap that allows the rats in but not out again (use some bait if you like). Wait until it fills up then dispose of as you see fit but if you decide to kill them do it as humanely as possible, after all they may be vermin but they are animals just trying to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

When you put your compost bin out make a chicken wire base for it it will allow worms through but keep rats out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Had a problem with mice a few years ago in an old house. They loved the poison and thrived on it. They somehow managed to get bits of chocolate and cheese off the traps. So in the end I tried pasty poison on the traps and it worked. I was glad that they didn't suffer a lingering death, So sturdy traps would be my advice.
    Removing the composter for a while is good advice, but a steel mesh and a steel composter would be better than chicken wire as rats are persistant little devils and it sounds as they are in the area. In london it was said that you are no further than 15 foot from a rat at any time.

Advertisement