Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Go-slow protest over Wexford traffic plan

Options
  • 20-04-2006 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.wexford.ie/Roads/downloads/InstalledTrafficPlan.pdf
    http://www.wexford.ie/Roads/downloads/CompleteTrafficPlan.pdf

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0420/wexford.html
    Go-slow protest over Wexford traffic plan
    20 April 2006 16:29

Traffic disruption was expected in Wexford town this afternoon as taxi and coach drivers carry out a go-slow protest.

The drivers say the campaign is to highlight their opposition to Wexford Borough Council's traffic management system.

The protest was due to begin at Barntown traffic island at 3pm and continue along Newtown Road, down Hill Street around Redmond Square.

Wexford Borough Council has come in for serious criticism in recent weeks over traffic management decisions, most recently causing controversy with the introduction of traffic lights on Hill Street in Wexford town.

Taxi drivers are claiming the traffic is now so bad in the town that it is adversely affecting their livelihoods.

Taxi and bus drivers have described the current traffic system in the town as 'flawed and chaotic'. They say they do not want to disrupt traffic or cause an inconvenience to other motorists but they say they feel action is necessary.

Council officials believe increasing traffic and the temporary closure of other roads in the town is the cause of the congestion problem, a claim which is being rubbished by the taxi drivers.

Local taxi Driver Barry Dempsey says there are a number of solutions to address the situation at Hill Street.

Mr Dempsey is suggesting the removal of the controversial traffic lights in a bid to alleviate the traffic.

He said there should also be the removal of the right turn from John St onto Hill Street which he claims would allow traffic to flow better.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The traffic is Wexford is pretty bad these days esp in the summer. It truly is a Norman town bursting with 21st century automotive problems.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

mike65 wrote:
    The traffic is Wexford is pretty bad these days esp in the summer. It truly is a Norman town bursting with 21st century automotive problems.

Mike.
    Pretty ferocious population growth in the last 6 or so years, I'd guess . And it is a Viking town!! Census results in July will be inetesrting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭cil_aine

jd wrote:
    Pretty ferocious population growth in the last 6 or so years, I'd guess . And it is a Viking town!! Census results in July will be inetesrting.

all the major towns in wexford have a similar problem: Gorey, Ferns, Enniscorthy and Wexford. All the towns are small and compact, and they don't have proper bypasses, forcing traffic into the town centres. i don't know if it's just wexford but all the major towns in the county have appalling traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its Dane in origin but the old town street layout is very much Norman in style (ie too flippin narrow).

Wexford is by-passed but it makes no odds (except things would be far worse if it was'nt!).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bazzer06

The wexford street pattern is Viking in nature - that's what gives it the narrowness, it wasn't the Normans!!
    And the traffic situation in wexford at the moment is extremely bad - i have to admit i was hopeful when they started bringing it in but it has ended up being detrimental to the town in many aspects. It now takes me 15 minutes at least to get to work in a taxi - a distance of about 1.5km! (I know i should walk but sometimes i'm lazy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mike65 wrote:
    bazzer06 wrote:
    The wexford street pattern is Viking in nature - that's what gives it the narrowness, it wasn't the Normans!!
    mike65 wrote:
    Its Dane in origin but the old town street layout is very much Norman in style (ie too flippin narrow).
    Proof. :p

Advertisement