Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Request: Suggestions for 40mile cycle starting in Blanchardstown

Options
  • 20-04-2006 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

To train for the Wicklow Challenge (the 100km route) I want to do a few long cycles.
    I'm looking to fit a 2.5-3hr cycle in on Saturday between the Arsenal/Spurs and Liverpool games (2pm-5pm).
    Any suggestions as to where I should go, starting from near Blanchardstown (shopping) Centre?

I've done the Westmanstown/Strawberry Beds/Phoenix Park/Castleknock loop but wouldn't mind going a bit further. I've also cycled Navan Road/Clontarf/Howth and back.
    The ideal route would have low traffic volumes and minimal traffic lights. I would rather not drive toward Wicklow or anywhere as that would eat up a lot of cycling time.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Looks like a good laugh. What sort of bike are you entering on? I might give it a lash myself. 100km isn't too far but there looks to be some fairly harsh climbs on that route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

daymobrew wrote:
    To train for the Wicklow Challenge (the 100km route) I want to do a few long cycles.
    I'm looking to fit a 2.5-3hr cycle in on Saturday between the Arsenal/Spurs and Liverpool games (2pm-5pm).
    Here's a couple that might be roughly in the distance range. Not sure about traffic as It's been a while since I was out that way:

1: Clonee-Kilbride-Ratoath-Dunshaughlin-returning on the Navan Road.

2: Clonee-Black Bull-Trim-Summerhill-Dunboyne-Clonee-Blanchardstown.

Have a nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Simona1986 wrote:
    What sort of bike are you entering on? I might give it a lash myself. 100km isn't too far but there looks to be some fairly harsh climbs on that route.
    I'll be entering on a nice racer.
    The hills for the 100km are a lot less than the 200km route - the Sugarloaf climb at the start is supposed to be tough and much easier after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I had a nice cycle going when I lived out that way, it's a bit hard to navigate though. Not sure how it falls on your distance chart, but basicly, head down towards Clonsilla Station, out towards Leixlip on the back road, through the village (up that huge hill) and out to Maynooth. Then swing a left and head for the N2 towards Athlone, but take the backroad out just before you reach there and head back down into town through the green belt, it should lead you into an industrial estate up the top of Mulhuddart there (near Tyrrellstown) and then down into Blanchardstown again. I know the route seems kinda vague, but take a look on the map and you'll see what I mean. It's not 40 miles, it's probably only 20-something, but its got plenty of hills to keep you busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Doing any spins anywhere over near the southside? I'm interested in giving it a lash and might do the wicklow challenge too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement