Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

failing first year in college

Options
  • 20-04-2006 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

is it common?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's quite common. Think about the transition that you made this year. You went from a reigmented structure supervised by teachers for the LC into college, where the onus is on you and you only to complete your work.

The question is? Have you completely failed, because you probably will have the option of resitting in the autumn or repeating completely next year. (it will all depend on your course, however).

Or can you turn it around by working hard before the exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

College isnt the be all and end all. Many people find that college isnt all its cracked up to be and head out into the wonderful world of work or change courses. Im assuming your still you and if you fail 1st year college there are loads of options such as repeating the year . I for example dropped out of college, got a job, did my leaving again at 22 and now Im in first year again. Life isnt that short so enjoy it. There is plenty of time and doors open to you if you pass or fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,463 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That time of year again.....
    Its not the end of the world. Most places have repeats you can do.
    Or you can talk to lecturers about it.
    If you have to repeat so be it.
    All I would say if you are not sure its the course you want to do then have a long think about it and decide what your next step is.
    I know people who only started college at 30......so you have plenty time
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭fdevine

I was so convinced that I had failed first year in college that I took a job in the bank.

Thankfully I did pass, but failed (and had to repeat) one subject in second year.

As has been said, its not the end of the world. If its what you really want to do, stick it out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I failed 2nd year and I also had to do repeats every year. Chances are I'll have to repeat one or two of my finals too. I know I'm just not cut out for my course...but to answer your question, yes it is pretty common to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Very common if you have gone straight from 6th year into college, I worked for a couple of years first (which I think everyone should do) and it has made me knuckle down big time. I failed accountancy in first year but passed the repeat and now heading for my summer exams in third year.

Its also more or a worry if your parents are paying your way i.e. accomodation etc. I get no grant or financial help off my parents so I've been working my way to pay so its my business and mine alone what I do or do not do in college.

I wouldnt worry too much, just dont give up now. Give the exams a go and you never know what might happen.

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Its not uncommon if thats what you are asking.
    I did it twice in different courses.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah it's very common. I'm about to fail second year. Exams start tomorrow.

There is a huge rate in first year for failing AFAIK.

There is a huge rate in first year for failing AFAIK.

It depends on the college - ITs have a huge failure rate, whereas Universities have less of that big of one. Of course, it varies on a course by course basis.

To the original poster, failing isn't that big a deal. As others have said, there are avenues you can travel on which may not be ideal (e.g. doing repeats in August/September or repeating the entire year) but it isn't the end of the world.

It can be strange to go from an environment not just of teachers telling you to do everything, but also ok to good grades in subjects, and to a scenario of potentially failing. As an example, over 40 students failed one subject in my first year in College (me being one of them) and had to do repeats. With a bit of work, you'll breeze through anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

I failed first year, nearly failed second year, loved every second of college. In fact, I reckon if you don't fail at least one year you've been working too hard and not taking full advantage of college life. And once you're done with college (one way or another), it really doesn't matter very much what happened in first year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Depends where you are, I'm convinced it's impossible to fail first year in NUIG or UL if you do any bit of study at all. Don't give up until the last exam is over, you can learn enough to pass any first year exam in a day, getting good results is where the extra work comes in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Depends where you are, I'm convinced it's impossible to fail first year in NUIG or UL if you do any bit of study at all. Don't give up until the last exam is over, you can learn enough to pass any first year exam in a day, getting good results is where the extra work comes in.
    Heh, it's true. If I can pass first year in NUIG then anybody can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Jesus christ shut the fuk up.

To the O/P First year can be very difficult on people and allot of people have to repeat subjects, most people make it if they put in the effort at the last minute, the ones that fail generally have resigned themselves to their faith and don't try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Thats all well and good but doesn't help the OP much.

OP you'll be grand, they don't like failing people, you'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

I failed comp science in UCC last year after transition year and 2 leaving certs behins me. I f*cking hated it. I left college and got a job instead. I love my job.

Everything has a way of workign itself out. Whether or not you see failing a year as an opportunity of some sort is up to you. Perhaps you might reevaluate your position now...is it the right course? are you just doing nothing? have you got some other issues you need to explore?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In UCD, failing first year is quite common, and there's very few people I know who haven't had to repeat exams at some stage. I passed first year, failed my 2nd year summer exams - but passed them in the repeats, dropped out of 3rd year a day before the summer exams, then changed course, and I've passed half of 2nd year in this course now. So I've been through the exam mill, but I've survived! Failing your exams isn't the end of the world, it happens. Try as hard as you can to pass the summer exams, but like I said, it's not the end of the world to repeat your exams or the year, no matter what anyone says.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SeanPuddin and Tar - watch it will ya! Keep on topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 justhim

I think its something thats getting more and more common. Did it myself. Fell into the stereotype of enjoying the college life far to much. Failed first year exams and my repeats. Have to say probably the best thing that could have happened to me. Woke me up and made sure i worked hard for the rest of college. I still made sure i enjoyed every minute of it though! Work hard play hard and all that crap. The key thing is you still have time, its never to late to get your head down. Not to mention there are still the repeats. It may seem daunting at first but you will get through it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

justhim wrote:
    I think its something thats getting more and more common. Did it myself. Fell into the stereotype of enjoying the college life far to much. Failed first year exams and my repeats. Have to say probably the best thing that could have happened to me. Woke me up and made sure i worked hard for the rest of college. I still made sure i enjoyed every minute of it though! Work hard play hard and all that crap. The key thing is you still have time, its never to late to get your head down. Not to mention there are still the repeats. It may seem daunting at first but you will get through it!

Exact same thing here. It gives you "The Fear" so you tend to do more work the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Don't even think about failing your exams until you've failed them! No point worrying especailly when you can repeat them.

I've failed the year. Not pleasant. Basically I glided through 2/3rds of my course in first year, failed one of my subjects through a lack of study. Studied my arse off second time around but unfortunately a combination of an extremely difficult paper and me bottling it through lack of confidence led me to failing once again thus failing the year overall. As a result I was planning to go work for a year and then start a new course after but I had a change of heart as the course I was in was the only really that suited me so I decided to repeat the year despite hating my college and its environment.

With one week of my repeat year left how has it turned out? I've gone off my course. I've hardly being in all year as I've only had 2/3 hours per week and as a result academically I've gone off the radar and have lost interest. I worked in an office on most of my days off and I've liked it and due to this I'm thinking about quitting the course all together and going into work full-time. Whether I will or won't I don't know.

Failing exams or a year in college is common, it happens but honestly studying instead of worrying is the best solution to prevent this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bar a death in the family or a serious accident anybody who fails and exam in college is wasting their time and their parents money.

We all go on the piss in college for the year keep upto date with lectures and then cram for a few weeks before the exams and hey presto you get a degree. Anybody who fails a year or and exam in college is LAZY or thick or more than likely both.

We wont even discuss the fee paying colleges as their exams do not count and if you fail those you should defo give up college ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

I failed my first year in college, worked for a year and then started and new course in a different college. It's not that big a deal... just realise the reasons why you failed and move on with your life.

(Also the poster above me is an idiot.:) )

Sounds like an arts student to me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would not regard arts as a degree. If a student is capable of getting accepted on to a degree course there is no excuse for failing exams only being lazy.

I assume the above two posters smoked the bone through college and did not understand when was the time to study and when was the time to go on the piss. I firmly believe that if you fail and exam in college that should be it Out the door to work.. Second chances are only for wasters!

Advertisement