Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden swing seat

Options
  • 19-04-2006 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Just wondering if someone cant help me, or point me in a good direction.

Basically, what I want to do is make a wooden swing seat. (the bit you sit on, only). I'd like to get a pattern or design routed out of the seat. Or if thats hard to get done cheaply, maybe laser engraved pattern.

So to recap, a thick piece of strong wood, about 2 and a half foot, by 8 inchs, by 3 inch thick, with a design engraved or routed out?

Can anyone advise/help me find a way to get this done.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's one mighty "chunky" swing seat, I'd say! Do you have the wood already, and do you already have a design or pattern in mind? If it's not too complex a pattern, anyone who was moderately proficient with a router could probably do it for you. Laser engraving wouldn't do much on wood methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 red-cube

I dont have the wood.

Basically, I'm planning getting the seat made/done as a gift.
    I haven't designed the pattern yet, but it will be basic text, and a few squiggles.
    Just wondering who and where and how much???

I know its hard without set designs, but want to have a guide/understanding before I go ahead and design it.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are a couple of carvers who frequent this forum. They might be able to help you out. Actually, it might look better carved, rather than routed which can look a little 'mechanical' depending on the pattern. And I'm sure they'd do you a good price too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

What kind of desing are you looking for here? If you could post up a pic i might be interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 woodenlung

best advise i can give you is find a image you like E.G. celtic knotwork....something relatively simple.get it printed out the size you need and then tape it to the wood.score through the paper with a sharp stanley knife and with a cheap wood carving chisel chip out your design.Alternatively goover the knife lines with a pencil and free hand route it out.Remember this wood is going to be exposed to the great outdoors so fine work would simply be a waste.good old hand crafted work is what you want.and you will enjoy it.Rough sand it with P40 sandpaper after before the final finish.Yaucht varnish rocks for this type of stuff.hope i was some help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement