Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creationism debate cartoon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Amused, most definatley amused

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

IF anyone is not at least slightly amused by this they are either dead or take things far too seriously.

The fact is that every religion has a different analogy for the creation of the world/universe. This is exactly the point - an analogy is a presentation/comparison not based in literal truth - anyone who takes these myths as literal truth is insane, they were invented because no-one knew the answers at the time. Science now gives a physical explanation of creation but it does not explain how or why it all began which still leaves room for the existence of God/gods don't you think?

http://www.electricpublications.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well I can understand Hairyheritic concern at his faith being protrayed in such a backwards light.
    But it did make me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

made me smile =0)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

IF anyone is not at least slightly amused by this they are either dead or take things far too seriously.

I can easily see the point he is making, but at the same time, I don't care to have my beliefs described as "fscked up".

That being said, I work in support, and the idea of planting an axe in someones head is occasionally appealing :D
    The fact is that every religion has a different analogy for the creation of the world/universe. This is exactly the point - an analogy is a presentation/comparison not based in literal truth - anyone who takes these myths as literal truth is insane, they were invented because no-one knew the answers at the time.

I know that, and feel the same way. FWIW I don't take that creation story as fact.
    Science now gives a physical explanation of creation but it does not explain how or why it all began which still leaves room for the existence of God/gods don't you think?

Yes, I do. I don't know where everything came from. I've no proof that what I believe is real (in terms of independent verifiable proofs). I believe in and honour my gods though, and thats all that I require.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭skateing dragon

Its Just a joke i doubt its meant to be taken seriously! Cartoonist and Comedians make fun of all religions. Its just because its the one thing that nearly everyone has a different view on so its an easy subject to use ast the bud of their jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭archdukefranz

I like the bit where odin takes his axe and lodges into the dudes head... it was funny

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I can easily see the point he is making, but at the same time, I don't care to have my beliefs described as "fscked up".

Agreed, that's a bit strong. I wonder why he didn't use the desert gods creation myth, which is every bit as wacky and contradicting when viewed in this way. Maybe his followers have lost there sense of humour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MichaelMartin

There is no conflict between science and our myths. Our myths do not describe the creation of the Earth billions of years ago, but a new beginning of a society founded and built on the ruins of an elder civilization (Atlantis) which was destroyed during the last iceage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Atlantis ?
    Where are the references to this ?
    Is it in the germanic or norse sagas ?
    I can't recall any mention of it in Snorri Sturlasson´s Edda.

Funny how atlantis gets speculated about as to where the first Magi came from be they Thutha De Danna, egyptian or those who fled to the central americas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement