Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we 'Eat too much' in the N.West ?...

Options
  • 19-04-2006 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I believe we eat far too much than is good for us, apparently 3 square meals a day is still regarded as normal, when in fact 'one' good hearty meal a day with a couple of lighter meals (in between) should suffice, unless someone is involved in heavy manual labour.

The "shockingly high" incidence of obesity, heart disease, cancer, etc, just has to be associated mainly with out eating habits

Do you think our ' eating habits ' could do with a radical re-think on health grounds ?.....:confused:

P. :cool:

Do we 'Eat Too Much' in the North-West region ?... 6 votes

Do you agree that we 'Eat too much' ?..
    0% 0 votes
    Do you disagree with my view that we 'Eat too much' ?..
    100% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I think you worry too much, Paddy :p

And no, from my expereince there's not an over abundence of over-eaters in the N.W.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yep - there's a lot of lard up in the north west, but I think it's more to do with the high fat, high protein diet. Greasy meat with chips is the problem, not the portion size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Damien Blake

I'm not long back from a brief holiday in Japan and Korea, and this question has been on my mind since then.

One of the first things that hit me out there is that there is literally nobody overweight (yes, there are overweight people, but we're talking substantially less than 1% of the population, and that's overweight not obese). After a few days, it becomes clear that their diet has an awful lot to do with it.

People in that part of the world eat differently, both in terms of quantity and how it is prepared. Fish plays a large role in the diet, as does rice. But the big thing is that portions tend to be much smaller, and focussed on quality not quantity.

Between eating a local diet, and doing touristy stuff (eg walking up hills, carrying luggage around) for two weeks, I lost about 10lbs. The really hard part has been since I came back to Ireland, I'm finding it nearly impossible to maintain any kind of healthy diet, particularly over portion control. Yes, when I cook for myself it's possible, but every time I've eaten out since I got back I've left a good amount of food on the plate(and this is something I'd never do before!).

So yes, I'd have to say that in the NW (as well as everywhere else!) we ate way more than we need to survive. I'd be the first to admit that I'm carrying a stone or two too much, but I'm working on it now!

Yes, I am aware that there is a generally substantial Physical Education classes in schools in SE Asia, but I'm talking more about adults here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Between eating a local diet, and doing touristy stuff (eg walking up hills, carrying luggage around) for two weeks, I lost about 10lbs. The really hard part has been since I came back to Ireland, I'm finding it nearly impossible to maintain any kind of healthy diet, particularly over portion control. Yes, when I cook for myself it's possible, but every time I've eaten out since I got back I've left a good amount of food on the plate(and this is something I'd never do before!).

I dont mean to be funny damian but if you are concerned about the portion size then you can control it. Dont eat it all, simple as that.

I can not talk about over weight, have been for the best part of my life, but i have to say it is my fault. I go to the places that give good size portions and not skimpy one.
    it is totally psychological with me, there is no need to gorge on big portions but that is what i do.
    How many ppl on here know a lot of chippers in the locale, how many know who gives more chips in their portions. how big the fish is, who is the most generous behind the till etc......

The one thing with this country, region etc... is that we are only now starting to get a wider range of foods and cultures. Previous to this the auld thought of mind would be always QUANTITY over quality.

Good thread paddy, well done on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Guilty as charged Judge Paddy.

Regarding Damien's comments, I lived in Singapore for six years and the thing that I noticed most (apart from the heat) was the food. Quality and not quantity was the order of the day. Also, the diversity of it all would put us to shame here in Ireland. Fish and rice were very much to the fore, (although I never tried the fish head curry or mutton penis:eek:) and were available on every street corner in the hawker centres. A lot of fresh seafood was available at ridiculously low prices. I think the idea is to eat a few small meals every day instead of constant snacking on unhealthy food followed by a huge meal, that in all probability would be enough for two.

Now if only I could practice what I preach.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,939 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I knew it. The talk about food has brought nanook out of hibernation:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    I knew it. The talk about food has brought nanook out of hibernation:D

Spot on there Muffler, I wonder if he knows that T-Bone steaks are once again legal and available. God I missed my T-Bones ;) and welcome back nanook :) .

lads, it is easier to observe and ponce then to be vocal and never catch.

I am proud to say i have not broken the 1000 post barrier yet, muffler tut tut.

once again paddy, good thread.

Goodshape wrote:
    I think you worry too much, Paddy :p

And no, from my expereince there's not an over abundence of over-eaters in the N.W.

Goodshape,

You have a very appropriate name for this thread, but perhaps you should take note of Nanook's and other posters wise words and honesty, and nanook thanks for the compliment on this thread ;) I sincerely hope it will make a little impact on the eating habits of anyone who reads or contributes to the thread :) .

Im not sure if its right to make comparisons with people in Asia. I think people in that neck of the woods are naturally smaller and lighter. Perhaps the reason for that is their diet. On the other hand perhaps the reason for that particular diet is because of their actual physique.

Hen/egg scenario :confused:

In answer to Paddy's post I think that most of us do over-indulge. Maybe a better eductional programme is needed. Funny enough on that point the national school that my boys attend have a strict healthy diet programme. They insist on no crisps and each child must bring 1 piece of fruit with them daily......and eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Iascaire

I am a 22 year old young fellow, I eat a lot, two big dinners would not be unusual, snacking freely in between, I think I have a high metabolism because my body knows that it doesn't need to retain food because the next meal is never far away, Now I try to make sure that I maintain a high level of food intake in case this changes, maybe I'm naive. I'm definitely a quantity over quality man. I'd have a big plate of plain spuds before a small plate with some elaborate sauce anyday. I always thought Chinese(Asians) ate a lot and drank teas and stuff to help their digestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

in general culturally/historically the irish havnt really given a crap about the quality of our food, quantity and value are the main concerns....but it is changing slowly.

Im going slightly off topic here (Im entitled to - Im the mod :) ) but bejesus you would need a good feed before going into the moderaters forum. They're a pile of vultures in there that would tear you apart

Thats one of my excuses for eating large portions but a lame excuse never the less

muffler wrote:
    Im going slightly off topic here (Im entitled to - Im the mod :) ) `

Ahem, excuse me, but I thought you were just One Mod of Two ?.. Nanook has arisen from under a pile of nappie's once again :D .

Anyone for Fried Muffler with cheese :p

Yes, I am a Vulture.

Heh, heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Do you have any muffler steaks there for the BBQ Paddy? :p

Time for a bit of sense here.:D

It isn't just in the North West where too much is eaten. The whole of the Western World is guilty. Within the 'West' there is the whole debate about healthy diets. Look at the USA with all the obesity they have. They also have the greatest choice. The Mediteranaen diet seems to be current flavour of the month (pardon the pun). However, the Mediteranaen countries aren't obesity free. It all boils down to discipline and I don't have any.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This thread means nothing to me. If anything, i eat to little and drink too much

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Paddy20 wrote:
    I am becoming very concerned about ' Alcohol consumption ' being blamed for a lot of social problems in the North West.

When in fact I believe we eat far too much than is good for us, apparently 3 square meals a day is still regarded as normal, when in fact 'one' good meal a day should suffice, unless someone is involved in heavy manual labour.

The incidence of obesity,heart disease, cancer, etc, can not logically be blamed upon - alcohol abuse.

Do you think our ' eating habits ' could do with a radical re-think on health grounds ?.....:confused:

You need three meals in a day for optimal health and to keep your body running smoothly. Portions sizes should be reduced if people eat too much and it also depends a lot on what people eat. Less processed foods people!

I'm quite happy with my diet. :)

Paddy20 wrote:
    I am becoming very concerned about ' Alcohol consumption ' being blamed for a lot of social problems in the North West.P. :cool:

Paddy

Alcohol consumption is to blame for a lot of social problems. Too much food would contribute more to health problems. The battles that occur on our streets every weekend have nothing to do with too many spuds being consumed. We should differentiate between binge eating and binge drinking.

Paddy20 wrote:
    muffler wrote:
    Im going slightly off topic here (Im entitled to - Im the mod :) ) `
    Ahem, excuse me, but I thought you were just One Mod of Two ?..
    Just because I said that I ate large portions theres no need to say that Im the same size of 2 mods Paddy :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's a well known fact that mods are at least twice the size of hmods for we are 'nerd lite'. :)

It's a well known fact that mods are at least twice the size of hmods for we are 'nerd lite'. :)
    And here was me always thinking that the H as in Hmod stood for heavy:D

That or humourous. Mods lose it in any case. :);)

Correct me if i am wrong

this thread is do we eat too much in the n.west

Not bing drinking, lads and ladettes, c'mon.

Bing drinking should be another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Paddy20 wrote:
    I am becoming very concerned about ' Alcohol consumption ' being blamed for a lot of social problems in the North West.

Is it a coincidence that you raised a thread on the price of beer in the twin towns???

nanook wrote:
    I am proud to say i have not broken the 1000 post barrier yet, muffler tut tut.
    Proud? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnny255

muffler wrote:
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Just because I said that I ate large portions theres no need to say that Im the same size of 2 mods Paddy :D

Well you must b a TAD bit large if you think you should cut down to 1 good meal a day! now thats just crazy!

1 meal a day, WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 maxruby

As quoted by Paddy20

Do you really think that over eating is to be blamed for social problems inthe north west (or any where in Ireland).
    We all eat the wrong foods in modern society,thank you to the introduction of fast food (be it the take away or the micro dinner).
    But in my experience (be it outside the north west) people are beginning to recognise this. Bring on the farmers markets, organic foods and bring back the butcher.
    Now I will knock myself down before any one else (because I am uneducated in the ways of the north west (give me time)). Is there farmers markets? Where are the back garden plots? Do people buy all there food in the supermarket chains? And do people recognise the importance of home grown businesses like the butcher?

There is a farmer's market in Strabane on the last Saturday of each month. I think they visit Letterkenny and/or Ballybofey, but i'm not too sure when this is. Maybe somebody else from either of these towns might be able to help.

• Advertisement

johnny255 wrote:
    muffler wrote:

Well you must b a TAD bit large if you think you should cut down to 1 good meal a day! now thats just crazy!

1 meal a day, WTF

Read the posts before you quote people or dont bother posting.

I will leave it as a voluntary exercise for now but I will ban if I have to

Advertisement