Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

comments on using two kinds of birth control (pill/condom)

Options
  • 18-04-2006 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi,

Recently my gf has started the pill and wants to have unprotected sex. Previously we just wore a condom. Is wearing a condom now that she is on the pill a bit of overkill (pardon the pun).

Personally I wouldn't mind wearinga condom, and I don't think there is that much of a difference in the sensation.

what do you guys use ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The contraceptive pill is to prevent her from getting pregant, but it is not 100% even when taken correctly.
    Condoms are also a form of contraception but also protect you from various STi and hiv.
    If should not stop using the condoms until you are sure you are both sti and hiv free, and the aditional contraceptive will stand you in good stead esp if your gf is under the age of 25 when most women are at thier most fertile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If you dont mind wearing a condom keep on wearing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

We use both. Gives me a lot of peace of mind tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Hi
    Dont wanna rain on your parade but myself and my fiancee were using both the pill and condoms and we are the proud parents of two little darlings! :D
    So if you want my advice use everything u can if you dont want a baby, i thought i was well protected...but thats life for you!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Me and my girlfriend use both but sometimes without condoms.I need advice on something,we both got fairly drunk on sunday night,especially her and she got a bit sick,later on we had sex without a condom without thinking.The next morning i asked her is it likely that she puked up the pill but she said no but im still unsure and fairly worried,advice anyone?

• Advertisement

I would suggest reading the instruction booket at comes with your gf perscription.
    After that have her get in touch with her dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Morning after pill - better to be safe than sorry

This was late on sunday night,is it not too late for the morning after pill?

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/emergency.html
    Emergency contraceptive pills contain a progestogen hormone which is similar to the natural progesterone women produce in their ovaries. They should be started within three days (72 hours) of having unprotected sex. They are more effective the sooner they are taken. However they are not as effective as using other methods of contraception such as the pill or condoms regularly and do not protect you against sexually transmitted infections.

your better off getting the moring after pill, it will work up to 72 hours, granted the earlier it is consumed the better, but better to play it safe.. i had similar experience this weekend, i am on the pill, and use condoms, but a slip up with the condom left me having to go to the doctor yesterday for the morning after pill... better to be safe than sorry is my motto!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

The thing with condoms is that you can pretty much find out straight away if something's gone wrong, whereas with the pill you usually only find out when you're late or showing a bump!

The sensation (on the female side of things) can be very different & sometimes not as pleasurable while using a condom so it's not just your comfort you have to keep in mind.

Using both is the sensible thing to do as if one fails the other will back you up (most likely) & it gives you some peace of mind if you're a worrier.
    But then again we should all cross at the pedestrian lights, eat 5 portions of fruit & veg a day, exercise regularly & never talk to strangers...

Talk to her about if & go through all your options & theories about what you'd be like if your protection fails (this can sometimes put things into perspective).
    Just don't turn into this guy if things go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

Reading this has scared the bejasus out of me, myself and my gf have used pill only for approx 6 yrs.. I have heard of people getting pregnant while on pill but ( in my mind! ) put this down to maybe a missed pill or something like that as i thought that once it's taken at regular time intervals, it's practically 100% safe, the manufacturers cant say this as then it leaves them open to libel.......that was how i've justified it over last 10 yrs anyway....just speaking out loud here...

as to other post about gf getting sick,looking at it from biological point of view, it depends when she took the pill. It takes approx 6hrs for food to digest and enter bloodstream so work it out from there, if she took it early sun morning and got sick sun nite, should be ok, if took pill sun nite and got sick sun nite, not ok. Also it can depend on the stage of the month, i think the beginning and the end of the cycle are the most dangerous times to miss a pill....

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Brend

Dude Both...last thing you want is a 'suprise'....i had a scare recently....not fun...at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

If you want to not use a condom the Depo Provera injection would be the way to go. It's more likely you'll get pregnant after getting your tubes tied than if you're on the injection. Also it's not affected by medicines, getting sick or anything and you only need to remember it every 13 weeks. It's not any more expensive than the pill either.

It can screw up your periods at first but they disappear completely after a few months which is tres handy. Not good if you have problems in your family with brittle bones by the way. Some people have had problems with osteoporosis caused by it.

All in all though, in your situation it seems like it could be better for you than the pill. Talk to your doctor who can explain it to you a lot clearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,909 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Brend wrote:
    Dude Both...last thing you want is a 'suprise'....i had a scare recently....not fun...at all!

Definately....had a few scares myself the last few years and it's not something I'd recommend. Use both; it's not really that much of an inconvenience to guarantee a surprise free life that little bit more!

Advertisement