Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD kickboxing club

Options
  • 18-04-2006 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hey there lads

I hope some one in charge in the KB club is reading this........ I think what you have done in there recently is rotten to the core.... just rotten and you should hang your heads in shame for what you pulled off.....

Martials arts should embrace each other and promote each other, many many people on these boards cross train and see nothing wrong with it.....

To say that KB and Thai Boxing are the same is to say the least stupid... There are as alike as salt and pepper lads, you should know that.... I would love to come up there one night and spar the lot of ye to show you the differences between them ( this is not a come up and batter you ) offer but more to show you the major and quite distinctive differences between the 2 arts....

This sort of **** went on when i was at uni and its stinks and serves no purpose at all... what about the lads training thai in UCD... where are they gonna train now?????

"WE ARE ALL ONE"

fell free to take me up on the offer and for the love of God stop being so narrowed minded and afraid that there might be something better out there... how are you supposed to progress when you got your head in the sand...

paddy

ps I didnt write this to have it turned into another MMA vs TMA discussion, please only reply if you have something constructive to say.... There are a few lads in ireland working very very hard to promote Thai Boxing and this sort of **** stinks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Paddy explain more to us not in the loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭john kavanagh

dont stop trying, its always hard to get something new in....have to keep fighting for the cause!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

Ah the usual i suspect

A super thai club started up, super dedicated lad running it and now it aint happening..... apparently (as i heard it, not from the instructor) there no room for "2" kickboxing clubs :mad: :mad: :mad:

paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

paddyc wrote:
    Ah the usual i suspect

A super thai club started up, super dedicated lad running it and now it aint happening..... apparently (as i heard it, not from the instructor) there no room for "2" kickboxing clubs :mad: :mad: :mad:

paddy

Thats like saying you can't open a shotokan club because a Taekwon-Do one all ready exists!

Sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah, from their eyes, kickboxing and muay thai are the same. I understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Paddy, you could go herehttp://www.ucdsu.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=17Not very active since the forums crashed for a few months but nonetheless....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

I dont know all the ins-and-outs of the situation but i will make one interesting point. This is the welcome message on the UCD "Lau-Gar" website
    Hello and welcome to the UCD Lau Gar Kickboxing Club. For the less familiar, Lau Gar is a Shaolin style of Kung Fu developed by a man named Lau. For the full spiel, check out the 'STYLE HISTORY' link.

Isnt there all ready shaolin Kung-Fu in UCD??? So if the situation is where Lau Gar is complaining that Muay Thai is too alike arent they by definiton hypocrits? Im not tryin to act like a know it all but its just it says it on the front of their website!!!

Ive never in my MA life seen other MA's actually tryin to stop others from training, but i dont think its an MA thing, its probably more worry that another MA club may be coming into place which will mean Lau Gar may look less attractive to the in-coming students.

Its a very messy situation the whole thing with little or nothing those involved can do which is unfortunate as it seems the students have little or no control of their university. All the students want to do is train in the art of Muay Thai and not "a Shaolin style of Kung Fu developed by a man named Lau".

I'd love to hear from more ppl on this topic. Its one of much concern for a dedicated few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

WTF!

I used to be the captain of UCD kickboxing club back in the day (as in President, head honcho, big cheese) and if this is true then I have to say it's disgusting.

Ironically just after I left power, this EXACT SAME ARGUMENT erupted between UCD Shaolin Kung Fu club and UCD Lau Gar Kung Fu and Kickboxing Club. The upshot of it was that the second club had to stop mentioning that they practice kung fu.

I don't even know who's in charge there now, but if you can get me any details PaddyC I'll look into it.

If this is someone acting the cock, I'm willing to release enough dirt to make them have a very bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Clive, you're a helpful man :)

Also, has anyone noticed that Lau Gar is a funny name? You could probably replace them if you lean on the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

The athletic union council in UCD have a rule where you cannot have two clubs doing the same sports, It is ironic that Lau Gar who Kung Fu had a problem with now use this rule to close down another club.
    It has never really been the case where all clubs got on in eternal brotherhood. You always here people saying do not do that they are dangerous or some such. Acting like crabs in a bucket is not how clubs should act. The societies put aside their differences to make themselves powerful. The sports clubs look after themselves and get there bar closed midsummer, gym music blaring constantly and their freshers stands moved out to the edge of campus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭ShaneT

Jon wrote:
    Thats like saying you can't open a shotokan club because a Taekwon-Do one all ready exists!

Sad

Funny you should say that. That's how the vast majority of the "uneducated" view it. After nearly 8 months we are still searching for a more suitable location for our club. Unfortunately, the reponse from 99% of the locations that we approach is, "we already have a 'karate' club..." (Because they have Taekwondo for kids on sunday afteroon...)

There's just no way to explain and almost no point in trying... :rolleyes:

-Shane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

A fight to the death would easily resolve this argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

ShaneT wrote:
    Funny you should say that. That's how the vast majority of the "uneducated" view it. After nearly 8 months we are still searching for a more suitable location for our club. Unfortunately, the reponse from 99% of the locations that we approach is, "we already have a 'karate' club..." (Because they have Taekwondo for kids on sunday afteroon...)

There's just no way to explain and almost no point in trying... :rolleyes:

-Shane.

I feel your pain! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

cavedave wrote:
    The athletic union council in UCD have a rule where you cannot have two clubs doing the same sports, It is ironic that Lau Gar who Kung Fu had a problem with now use this rule to close down another club.
    It has never really been the case where all clubs got on in eternal brotherhood. You always here people saying do not do that they are dangerous or some such. Acting like crabs in a bucket is not how clubs should act. The societies put aside their differences to make themselves powerful. The sports clubs look after themselves and get there bar closed midsummer, gym music blaring constantly and their freshers stands moved out to the edge of campus.

Is there very limited money given by the university to clubs?

Or is it just a case of clubs afraid of a little competition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭ShaneT

RotalicaV wrote:
    A fight to the death would easily resolve this argument.

LOL!
    Jon wrote:
    I feel your pain! :rolleyes:

Thanks. Oddly, I feel better already. :D `

-Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Lau Gar is a points club right? They would probably have more in common with the TKD club there than the Muay Thai. :rolleyes:

That god theres none of this type of sh*t in UL that's all I'll say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Y'see gents, this is where we win.

Technically... I think we're a dance troupe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭FiannaGym.com

I suppose the MT club could present the more traditional side of MT, KrabiKrabong stuff to demonstrate the differences. If the club is there during the summer i'll make a point of heading out there to train.

Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

We encountered something similar when we were changing our original Gong Fu club in NUIG to a Muaythai club, however we finally got it sorted in the end. However, I am not surprised by the "kickboxing" clubs attitude to the prospect of a Muaythai camp beginning in UCD.

I mean just look at how "little" different the two are, one a hybrid sport which has its origins in full-contact Karate in the late '60's, with no traditions, no culture, sweet fuvk all history, God knows how many different organisations claiming to be the true governing body and a disputed country of origin.

All that Muaythai has in comparision is that it evolved from the battlefields of the kingdom of Siam (some hundreds of years ago), includes learning about the long history, culture and traditions of this ancient art, has a wide range of aspects to study with equal emphasis on both the art and sport and there is no doubting from where it has originated. Although many "kickboxing" organisations have tried to jump on the bandwagon, the World Muaythai Council (WMC) is the only body truely recognised for the promotion of Muaythai. Finally, Amateur Muaythai will be a demonstration sport at the next Olympics. Hmmm...... don't think theres much "difference" there:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

pearse

thanks for that although I dont think the lad in question has any training in KK, only a few in Ireland know any of it at all..

Dave tis a feckin shame a fecking shame, alright if its 2 men depending on it for an income but a feckin uni club... time to get a reality check there I think

funny still no one asking for me to go up and show them the differences between the 2...:eek:

paddy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bad-boy

Does that mean red rooster is out of a school, thats terrible and he's such a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lorraineg86

I need to speak to you Clive.......

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ah, from their eyes, kickboxing and muay thai are the same. I understand.

If I may offer a divergent view . . .

The MA clubs in UCD are nearly all struggling financially. Changes to the way college terms are structured, a multiplication of clubs and a reduction in the level of grant available has meant that the numbers of students participating has fallen sharply, and retention rates are worryingly low. Post-January you can count the number of students training there on your hands. At one time there were just a handful of MA clubs (Judo, Karate, Kung-Fu, Boxing) and numbers training were healthy pretty much all-year round. Each club gets a grant based on the number of students participating, and that grant combined with the very low student membership payments covered the cost of instruction (if external coaches were being used).

Today there are 11 MA clubs Aikido, Capoeira, Judo, Karate, Lau Gar kickboxing, Shaolin Kung-Fu (the original Kung-Fu club merged into a new Shaolin club set up in the 80's), MMA, Ninjutsu, Tae Kwon Do, Shanshou (Tai Chi Chuan), and Wrestling. That growth would be fine if the numbers of students training had also increased but in fact the opposite has happened, because (1) exams now occur two or three times a year, (2) there are more colleges outside Dublin so the students living in flats who are bored and train have declined in numbers, and (3) there are multiples of non-MA clubs to train with now.

In the face of this kind of competition all of the MA clubs try to avoid further dilution of their numbers by urging the college not to allow 'similar' types of clubs be established. There have been attempts in the past for example to set up a Kenpo club, a Wing-Chun club etc and these have been opposed by at least one of the incumbent clubs.

I do agree that Lau Gar has more in common with Shaolin than it does with Muay Thai, but at this stage there are so many MA clubs in UCD that setting up more seems to be giving negative returns to the college in terms of numbers actually training. For many clubs once the number of students training trails off in January the social aspect becomes a struggle and some clubs effectively cease operating. The Lau Gar club has managed to keep numbers up sufficiently to train all year round and I'm sure they do not want to see that position undermined.

Yes, there's a bit of dog-eat-dog in that attitude, but it has come down to a battle for survival. In the greater scheme of things having too many clubs is a threat to all of the clubs, not just Lau Gar.

PS: Let me clarify that I do not represent any of the UCD clubs, I'm just aware of the struggles they are going through!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

SVJKarate wrote: »
    PS: Let me clarify that I do not represent any of the UCD clubs, I'm just aware of the struggles they are going through!

I'm sure the previous poster would appreciate the well thought out and reasons response had you a time machine.

Sorry Donal you are answering a post from 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

Sorry Donal you are answering a post from 2006.

*slaps own forehead*

Right you are Ciaran, I should be more careful!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

SVJKarate wrote: »
    *slaps own forehead*

Right you are Ciaran, I should be more careful!

No worries man. Easy to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement