Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime in Ireland

Options
  • 18-04-2006 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I live in New York and heard that crime in Limerick is bad.I am thinking about doing an investigative journalism piece about it.Are there a lot of gangs?Are people concerened with crime and would they like to see some thing done about it?Are people afraid to talk about it?Is the media giving crime fair and accurate coverage?Are there other places to discuss this topic in Ireland,like websites and discussion groups ect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Per population our crime rates not too bad, people just like to bitch

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The Irish media (quite like your own) love to hype things up. There are a number of crime families operating in Limerick and Dublin (and no doubt Galway, Cork and Donegal too). However, unlike crime 'families' in the U.S. these tend to literally be an extended family of maybe twenty or thirty members rather than the more organised structure of mafia clans etc.

Of course people are concerned about crime but realistically our crime rates are no worse than anywhere else's (considerably better than the States or the UK). Like Firespinner says, Irish people love to bitch.

With regards other websites to discuss this on, trust me, you've found the best website to get any kind of cross-section of opinion and even at this, you'll find us to be rather unrepresentative as the majority of posters here are in their late teens to mid-twenties (a better breakdown of our demographics can be found here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=541).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement