Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise/Industrial scene in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-04-2006 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi
    are any noise or experimental electronic bands, labels in Ireland?
    bands similar to merzbow, aube, pita, francisco lopez...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I saw a band last week called Apostles who were kind of like Wolf Eyes (think **** the Old Miami rather than Burned Mind). Apart from that, it's fairly slim pickings for all out noise. Which is a shame because it's definitely one of my favourite types of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

There was a band in Skinny Wolves a while ago, think I was told at the time it was Decal! Sound like what you're lookin for.

I've seen Decal a couple of times, more like Aphex Twin than noise. He's really good but not noise. Or a band.

Fair nuff... Whoever I seen tho' there was defo more than one guy. Might not have been Decal so. Noise ain't really my forte anyway so I won't pretend it is!

legologic wrote:
    Fair nuff... Whoever I seen tho' there was defo more than one guy. Might not have been Decal so. Noise ain't really my forte anyway so I won't pretend it is!

Do Skinny Wolves have a website with an archive of who plays? I'm interested as to who it might have been (especially if it was Decal with other people).

• Advertisement

Just looked up Skinny Wolves Club website and I think it was Decal I was listenin' to. Previous listings say Decal (Live with David Lacey).

*Updates his definition of Noise* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Piratio, FancyGoods, Tremors, Toymonger and Bullets all do alright noise and/or drone and/or experimental stuff. If you can pick up the Red Bridge compilation that Risc recordsput out, there's some stuff on there IIRC.

edit: the website is gone a bit weird at the moment, but it's www.riscrecords.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Good thread.

Some spectacularly good experimental drone/electronica is Somadrome. His early stuff is more drone the newer stuff tho' is amazing electronic experimentation. Really innovative.

I thought I was in touch with noise in Ireland but it appears I'm really not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 chutneyfarmer

check out Tim from Apostles label.

lotsa noise/drone stuff there from ireland.

lovely artwork too!!!

lovely artwork too!!!

Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

whats noise or experimental electronic?

Noise is noise. No joke. Here's a review I did of Merzbow and John Wiese, two of the bigger noise acts. There are samples down the bottom. Basically noise is just throwing away all concepts of what music should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Legologic: that band was Tremors (some stuff on www.thumped.com/bullets). I only got to see Decal (seen Tremors a good few times), which totally made my night after being OK'd be the Rednecks in the Vicar St.

I dunno about the new Somadrone stuff, though. I really LOVE the 10" Neil released on Mango Music in 1999 or 2000 or summat, but I went to see him in the Project at the album launch this year and I found it underwhelming, maybe I'd just hoped things would have been pushed further. Amazing to see him play all the instruments, though. And the album *is* really nice - but not really noise/industrial!

That Red Bridge compilation is a great place to start (more linkage on www.riscrecords.com).

Another fella, a Merzbow uberfan, is Pawel Grabowski, he does loads of amazing live stuff and he studied composition, for what that's worth!

Also, not Irish, and not sure if alive but: Iannis Xenakis.

Cool aye caught 'em after the rednecks gig too, hadn't a clue who it was and someone said Decal.

In fact, was at that somadrone launch gig in project too, great show. True the new stuffs too melodic to be noise really but it is still fairly (if not wildly) experimental electronica. That 10" was the biz "Works begun" or something. If you can get your hands on that, it's well worth a listen.

Some excellent recomendations on this thread... give yerselves a pat on the back! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Oh yeah, Decal would have been on by then. 2 lads on computers and a drummer. Though someone said to me that the stuff they're doing with Dave Lacey is so different to usual Decal stuff that they might call themselves something different.

Also Schroedersound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lympog

queen kong
    LPX

I don't know LPX but I'm not a fan of Queen Kong.

i quite like them, but whatcha gonna do..?

• Advertisement

Disagree with you I suppose. It's an anticlimax I agree but at least we can get on with our lives and enjoy the bands we like.

looking for a fight, eh? get those fists up - i'll knock yer lights out!
    - leigh

lol

you laughing at me are ya? you starting, are ya - i'll get me boys on to you!!! i'll send ya to james' ya ****er....
    :rolleyes:

- log

*sigh* can we get back on topic please?

hmm...let's see
    haven't seen decal. heard [retards] are supposed to be really good
    fancygoods is also quite cool

lovely artwork too!!!

Road Records got a load of Haunted Tapes stuff in this week. I picked up the following:

Papercut: Very nice tape collages, very ambient and sinister.

Quetzolcoatl The Eternal Electrical Flesh Storm: Sounds a lot like what Tim was playing with the other guys in Apostles. Good stuff. Reminds me of some of the more confrontational stuff from Throbbing Gristle.

Nightcrawler Dedicated to the Nocturnal Hood Wanderers
    Bonecloud

Haven't listened to those last two yet.

As for (retards), they're ****ing deadly. I've seen them live a couple of times and they just rule. Although I'm not a fan of the new split single they're on but the Sex is a Weapon album is pretty cool.

LPX is in the boom boom room tonight around 9pm
    check it out

- leigh

Advertisement