Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Home vs. Dell Small/Medium Business

Options
  • 17-04-2006 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a laptop from the Dell website - it's for business use, so I'll be able to claim back the VAT - but, if I buy from the "Home" section of the website, will I still get a regular VAT invoice to claim back VAT?

The model I'm looking at (Inspiron 6400) ends up about €200 cheaper if I buy it through the home section of the site, once all the easter discounts are applied. But if I wont be able to claim back VAT, I may as well just use the Business section.

Does anybody have any experience claiming aftebuying through the home-use section?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No VAT reclaim from Home use . You need to buy a business machine. Generally the Home ones are lower spec and have XP Home on them. If you have been in business long enough ie 3 years plus you could also look at leasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

you can claim vat from any purchase once you have the requisite receipt, the final price will include VAT @ 21% all you need is the receipt/invoice to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Thanks for the advice.

I found the pefect system in the Dell Outlet, but by the time I had gotten my credit card ready, it was gone! The 15 minute shopping cart thing kicked in, so now I'm even more undecided as to what I should do.

Anybody know how long it takes for systems to be put back into the Outlet website? The sales department is closed today, and the call centre people that are working today can't give me any info at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

its updated at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

you can claim vat from any purchase once you have the requisite receipt, the final price will include VAT @ 21% all you need is the receipt/invoice to back it up.

Yep, this is true.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up going for one from the Dell Outlet website (the website was just updated a few mins ago, so the one I was originally looking for was available again), I think I got a pretty decent price:

Dell Inspiron 6400
    Duo Processor T2300 (1.66 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
    512MB RAM (Which I'll probably upgrade to 1GB in a few months time, extra €100)
    60GB (5,400 rpm) Hard Drive
    15.4" W Screen XGA TFT
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics (Shared)
    8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    6-cell , 53 WHr Li-Ion primary battery
    9-cell , 80 Whr Li-Ion additional primary battery
    Dicota Backpack
    Intel® Pro WLAN 3945 Internal Wireless (802.11a/b/g 54 Mbps) for Duo Processors
    Internal 56K v.92 Capable Fax Modem
    1 year standard warranty
    Windows XP Home

It all came to €825 including delivery and VAT. The same system comes to €1,147.08 on the Dell site, including a free printer (which I don't really need and is probably a useless rebadged Lexmark).

Doesn't seem that bad. Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jackwalli

The RAM upgrade is a good choice. But you might be able to get away without it. Its an ok price but the shared graphics isnt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

yea but if the OP only wants it for word, internet etc and not games it's perfect.

irlrobins wrote:
    yea but if the OP only wants it for word, internet etc and not games it's perfect.

That's pretty much all I want it for. Maybe burning/watching a few DVDs, nothing too hardcore graphics intensive. Plus the basic graphics card that I could have gotten wouldn't have been that great. The only problem I cazn really see is when I want to upgrade to Windows Vista, which seems to need a fairly high spec machine with graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Originally Posted by Thumper Long

just had a look at my last home user invoice from Dell late last year .... they give a full breakdown ..vat rate ... vat content .... net price .... total price and of course Dells own vat number .... no problem with vat :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Does anybody have any experience with the Dell Outlet? When I put in the order I got an e-mail with an internet reference number and a message saying that I should expect another confirmation by post in a few days. Are they usually fast to send out the systems, or does it take a few days, like with the custom ones? It'd be handy to have it sometime this week.

Advertisement