Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equitable Assigments of Debt FAO: Font22 & TheVan esp.

Options
  • 16-04-2006 2:25pm
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm finding it hard to get my head around this concept, in particular the case Gorringe v Irwell India Rubber & Gutta Percha Works. In the notes, I have a very sketchy and hard-to-read version of the events, such that:
    1. C owed money to A, and A owed money to B.
    2. A indicated to B that it held £425, due to A from C, on B's behalf. [Wtf?]
    3. C only received notice from B of 2. after A had commenced liquidation.

Issue:Had an equitable assignment come into being (as between A and B)?

What in good God is supposed to be going on in this case? I'm struggling with 2. and what it means.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭andy1249

I'll hazard a guess , A owes B money , instead of paying directly A is trying to pass the responsibility for the Debt to C ( who owes A money ) . I other words A is trying to transfer his debt to C .

The question is , is this legal , given the notice to C after liquidation.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ok, so who's the factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Hull that is a very complicated case! it took me a while to figure it out....ill explain it when I return to Dublin! Took me a while....reading the case actually helps and so does the book....which i suspect you don't have on ya! Between myself and Font22 we'll save ya!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

TheVan wrote:
    reading the case actually helps and so does the book....which i suspect you don't have on ya!
    TheVan knows me freakishly well.

Right, cheers for that. I reckon I'll peruse the case in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

TheVan knows me freakishly well.

Right, cheers for that. I reckon I'll peruse the case in due course.
    Peruse, I like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement