Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

balding or moulting?

Options
  • 15-04-2006 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I find that whenever I take a shower and wash my hair, everytime I run my fingers through my hair I have a few strands on my fingers. is this normal or am I going bald? I am only 20! I wouldn't worry that much, but I have a big receding hairline to boot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭tallaghtdave

alaphisia?
    how old are you? i read in your 30s -40s the hair growth takes a mad turn im reciding so i just shave it off. have a mate exact same problem as ur self hes 28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dont be afraid of it, I lost most of my hair when I was very young. Shave it tight and you wont look back :) The women will love it too, at least mine does anyway. Have been told by lots of people that it looks far better and healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I did meet a guy who was 19 and balding. It can happen very young. Check if early baldness runs in the family somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well actually when my uncle was young he was told by the doctor he would be bald by the time he was 20. he is now 50 something and has a mad head of hair.

the close shave thing is an interesting idea, but I am trying to grow it at the minute, it is just leaving the awkward stage, before it actually looks good long

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

If you notice that its coming from patches rather than the normal receding hair than you may have alopecia, which I unfortunately suffer from. Its a bummer but not life threatening and will hopefully regrow with time. Other than that its normal and I know of many in their early twenties with male pattern baldness, so it does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭haunted-room

Marts wrote:
    I find that whenever I take a shower and wash my hair, everytime I run my fingers through my hair I have a few strands on my fingers. is this normal or am I going bald? I am only 20! I wouldn't worry that much, but I have a big receding hairline to boot

Going bald sucks balls! Im 22 and have a noticable recceding hairline. I noticed that loads of hair was falling out while in the shower. I also know a guy who is 17!! and just has a horseshoe of hair on his head, talk about being f#cked in the ass by nature.
    You could go see your doctor or dermatologist and they may be able to tell you if its mpb. If it is, Im sorry to say there isnt much you can do about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MDP

Marts wrote:
    but I am trying to grow it at the minute, it is just leaving the awkward stage, before it actually looks good long

Yeah well that changes everything.

Everyones hair falls out all the time. As it grows more some will fall out. Its hard to notice when you have short hair, as it will just fall off naturally, however with long hair it will get tangled up, and when you brush or wash your hair you will find that loads comes out.
    I have a huge healthy mane of hair, and everyday I brush it and have to clean off the brush, it's just the way it happens - nothing to worry about.

I mean, look at a chicks hairbrush or look in the plughole when they have washed their hair and you will see a tonne of it...but you dont see a lot of girls going about looking like hulk hogan...

Dont worry about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hi im speaking for the ladies here. We LOVE the shaved head! Well I do! LOL Theres a guy who gets the same bus as me in the mornings and I want to grab him and tell him his hair is just hideous. He is obviously thinning on top and combing what he does have left fore ward with lots of gel so it looks like black felt tip pen lines drawn onto his head. Hideous!

Seriously just shave it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Everybodies hair is in a constant cycle of growth and falling out. Humans are animals and like other animals we also go through stages of moutling.
    Unless your hair is coming out in huge clumps I wouldn't worry too much.. Although if you do have a receding hairline, haven't you answered your own question?
    Apparantly men usually follow their mothers father when it comes to hair loss. Ruu is right though, if your hair is receding, get a close shave (if it suits your head and face) and forget about it. The worst thing you can ever do is try to cover up or try to hide the fact that you're balding!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Whatever you do, please, please dont do this :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ha! I was waiting for the comb-over shot!

I might be wrong but it seems that early hair loss is becoming more commen.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Ha! I was waiting for the comb-over shot!

I might be wrong but it seems that early hair loss is becoming more commen.

Mike.

Which coincides with increase in male use of gel, hair spray, mousse ect. Hmmm interesting. That pic is like your man off the bus and he is only about 20!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I think I will go with the chopped head, but only after Maiden in December, I want long hair for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

it is normal to lose a few hairs every day, as we have thousands on our heads. I have a noticeably receding hairline too...it is quite worrying that I might lose a lot of it...but then again it is also a sign of virility!

Well I am going to Maiden in December too and to be honest Bruce looks waaaaay better with short hair. Thats just my opinion :D

Rock On LOL

TheGooner wrote:
    Hi im speaking for the ladies here. We LOVE the shaved head! Well I do! LOL Theres a guy who gets the same bus as me in the mornings and I want to grab him and tell him his hair is just hideous. He is obviously thinning on top and combing what he does have left fore ward with lots of gel so it looks like black felt tip pen lines drawn onto his head. Hideous!

Seriously just shave it off.

hmm..do you mean you love the stubble on head look or the no hair whatsoever look?

Either is fine but if i had to choose id choose stubble over completly bald.

TheGooner wrote:
    Either is fine but if i had to choose id choose stubble over completly bald.

Another quick question...sorry dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but, If someone has a shaved head with stubble but is very obviously receeded what is your opinion on that?

When i say shaved i mean like a number one i think u guys call it. So receeding wouldn't make a difference if i understand u correctly?

by the way. A great example of a balding man looking better with head shaved is andre agassi *drool*

• Advertisement

TheGooner wrote:
    When i say shaved i mean like a number one i think u guys call it. So receeding wouldn't make a difference if i understand u correctly?

Ahh ok..cool. And yep number 1 is usually as short as people go, although I think there is a half also....
    Anyway cheers for the help, dont feel as doomed now!:D

no nee to feel doomed there is hope for us all :D

Advertisement