Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying MAC Pro from US

Options
  • 15-04-2006 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Do you recommend anyoneone to purchase Mac laptop from US. Its way cheaper but i guess warranty is the only problem!! What do you guys think ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Power is another problem. They use 110-115v in the U.S. and we use 220v. So you'd want to get a transformer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭trojaneater1

cregser wrote:
    Power is another problem. They use 110-115v in the U.S. and we use 220v. So you'd want to get a transformer too.
    All you need is one of those 1 euro plug adaptors. I have 2 from the states and they work fine.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ThunderStorm

trojan,

thanks for the input. did u buy laptops from there ? if yes, is ur laptop covered over here in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Most lappy power supplies, if not all, can take 110-240 50/60hz, its just a matter of the plugtop.

trojan,

thanks for the input. did u buy laptops from there ? if yes, is ur laptop covered over here in Ireland ?
    I bought both 2nd hand on notebookforums.com. If there is still warranty on them, the seller will sort it out for you as mostly they are not transferable(the warrantys).
    Hope this helps
    BTW
    There is a mac forum on there too with some nice deals.
    Watch the customs though.
    If you get them to mark the value at 650 euro or less, you will not be charged.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you get them to mark the value at 650 euro or less, you will not be
    charged.......

Im not sure where you got that notion!

There is a small packet allowance alright, but you can easily be charged customs on items of €70 or even less.

Laptops by their very nature are designed to travel. Voltages are not an issue, as already said, all you need a plug adaptor.

Apple, unlike Sony cover their laptops worldwide so your warranty should be fine.

One other thing to note, your @ and " keys will be switched.

Im not sure where you got that notion!

The customs clearance guy in store st told me for future reference.............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

The customs clearance guy in store st told me for future reference.............

Interesting, so should I ask for a refund If get charged for items of lesser value then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ThunderStorm

Thanks for the input guys,

I also heard that using non-US credit card can have problem while purchasing laptops online. Any comments ?

Thanks.

Advertisement