Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i proceed with DNA test

Options
  • 15-04-2006 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

please help me decide what i should do. 3 years ago i had a one-night stand with this girl who came along 2 months later to say she was pregnant.i stood by her saying i must b d father then she issued a maintenance order on me which i have being paying every week for last 2 years.i dont see the child. now i have reason to believe that i may not be d father as i have learnt this girl was with a few fellas around same time as me.what do i do? the courts recognise me as the father.do i have a right now, 3years later, to do for a DNA test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LIAMEEN

thanks coleen, but her mother is a real nightmare. how will i go about demanding a test now after 3 years.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

u should post about this in the legal discussion forum too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LIAMEEN

Cheers tin tin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

A friend of mine found himself in a similar position a couple of years ago. The mother of "his" child was a bit of a wagon also and he didn't feel she would be particularly compliant were he to bring up the subject of a DNA test.

One weekend he had access he took a swab from the child's mouth and sent it off to the UK for testing. Turns out he was right all along. Not entirely sure whether you are within your rights to do this however, so probably best to ask first! Good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I admit its a tricky situation you have yourself in. If you've being paying maintence for the last 3 years, then why don't you have access? I'm sure you want to see and spend time with the child and you have rights as well.

I knew someone in a simular situation a few years back. I would advise you to go solicitor and explain the situation and see where you stand from there. The end you dont want it geting nasty and turning ugly and it might be better this way.

I ahve 2 question though:

if you found it wasn't yours what would you do?

If DNA proved it was yours would you want access?

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

see a lawer and do it absolutely.this is extremely important. you need expert opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Do it man! You should know if this burd is playing you for a sucker.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

LIAMEEN wrote:
    thanks coleen, but her mother is a real nightmare. how will i go about demanding a test now after 3 years.?

yes you should have the test.
    find yourself a good solicitor and go from there.

Put it to you this way, you will be in no worse a situation if you go to your lawyer and force the test.
    You're already paying and you already have no access.
    You should have access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Lawyer job. Pronto.

BTW a mouth swab taken on the sly would probably not be admissable evidence as far as the courts are concerned although it might help you to resolve the issue in your mind first !

I am not sure how easy it is to get a court order to demand a DNA test where you get opposition from Mummy.

The fact that maintenance has been paid for a few years might not help as that might imply acceptance on your part of fatherhood. Against this it shows that you were prepared to act responsiblyand decently in a situation in which many others would walk away - court orders or not.

Anyway, see a lawyer ASAP with a view to getting this straight once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Assuming your name is on the birth cert, you can get a DNA test done with any doctor costs €450 as results have to be sent to UK.

If you want to dispute the maintence and reclaim cash you need a court ordered DNA test which requires her consent.

The quicket and cheapest way is styop paying her and let the court come after you demand a DNA test then BUT that leaves the possibility it may be yours so your a **** for not paying :)

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

You have never seen the child? Did you see her obviously pregnant? If you have sen the child and you know it exists then how come you don't have access if your paying maintenance? I would definitely get the test dne but sounds pretty complex if you don't see the child. Get yourself a solicitor first and foremost.

Advertisement