Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help

Options
  • 13-04-2006 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

hi
    im doing the leaving at the moment( god help me!!) but see i always wanted to do national teaching but what got me was honors irish, i can speak it grand but when it cam to learning stuff off it was like i got a mental block!!! so it resulted in me having to drop down to pass irish after over a year doing honors. i used spend hours learning irish yet i was advised to drop down as my other subjects were starting to suffer as a result.

but that then meant me doing national teaching was gone out the window..

im just wondering if theres anyway around it to do national teaching..
    i have put down arts to do secondary teaching 1st on my cao but i still really want to do national teaching,,

i would love if any1 has any advice..
    thanks
    maggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

ye can do a post grad in teaching, i think st pats run one, ye will need to get a good degree tho.. or opt for going to the UK.. if you go to the UK, scotland have no fees for fellow irish students,. i went to napier uni in edinburgh. try edinburgh uni for education programmes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Basically you'll need a C3 in honours Irish in the leaving if you want to get into any of the Irish based post grad courses. There are tonnes of post grad courses available in the UK, and they'll be accepted here, but you'll have to do the SCG exam (an Irish exam that gives you full qualification as a primary teacher here). You can work as a primary teacher for up to 5 years (I think) without the exam so you'd have 5 years to finish it.

If I was you, I'd sit the honours anyway! You'd be surprised how easy it actually is to get a C3 in the leaving Irish.

Best of luck!!

Advertisement