Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick vs cork

Options
  • 13-04-2006 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

heya all.
    just wondering if anyone could give me any advice.. im doing the leaving and iv applied for arts to do secondary teaching after.. but c iv put down cork first and limerick 2nd but im thinkin id rather go to limerick iv heard its better.. i know its a year longer that ucc but im thinkin id rather go to a college id enjoy for 4years that one i hate for 2.. i know its held in mary i but thought id see if any1 had any ideas!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭*yoda*

hey
    the course in Mary I would have as much choice in the subjects but if it's english or whatever that you eventually want to teach then there's a good course in limerick. also you can go on co-op in limerick for the year with the course which is why its one year longer. if you email the lecturers in both colleges about the course generally they get back to you with loads of info cos its their option to 'sell' the course or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

thanks a million for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

The Mary I course is three years really. The off-campus year is just a money spinner. Realistically you will have to find your own placement and will have little contact with the college for that year, depending on where you go.

Importantly though, if you go teaching (as many do) for you coop, you will get some points towards the dip. The points are capped but they could but you ahead of a candidate who did arts in Cork and had no teaching hours. You will also be making money during your off campus year so its like half in the real world and half in college (wrangle some days off for rag week).

Cork and Limerick are both good cities with young student populations. The cliché holds through though you will get out of college what you put in. There are loads from Cork in Mary I (more than any other county). Get a good gang together and a house you can hold parties in (v. important).

The arts course is handy enough (you would want to like writing essays though). The bed is much more time consuming and pressuried (don't let the stress rub off) although a lot of this is drawing charts about dancing pigs and what not.

If there is anything you need to know about Mary I ask, unfortunatly I've been here for far too long.

Advertisement