Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Composter

Options
  • 12-04-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting one of the garden composters in Lidl next week, and I was just wondering if anyone here has one already?

Do you find them useful? And importantly.. Do they smell rotten?!! :o

Thanks for the info!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

All compost 'heaps' or bins smell bad. But smelling bad means that it is composting well. It doesn't smell awful, its not like rotten eggs or anything. It smells of say warm, moist, rotting grass :)

But if you keep it at the bottom of your garden and the lid of the bin closed you wont smell anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I think they're a great idea but she who must be obeyed is very concerned that the neighbours will be disgusted at the smell.. So if I keep the lid on it wont be a problem.

My garden isnt too big though.. will I find it hard to use up the compost? I suppose I could just scatter it around the grass to liven up the lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

You'd be amazed at how small a pile the compost breaks down to. I wouldn't recommend scattering it over the grass though. Dig it in to your flower bed. Would totally reccommend one though, gets rid of an incredible amount of waste. Make sure you get the mix right - loads of brown material with the green. Egg boxes are great.

Advertisement