Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Southside Butchers

Options
  • 12-04-2006 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good butchers on the Southside?

I want to go at lunchtime, so if it's within short driving distance of Ranelagh then that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I did a quick google and came up with (no kidding) :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-168524.html

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

bonkey wrote:
    I did a quick google and came up with (no kidding) :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-168524.html
    You should check the one out tha is just up from Mother Reillys pub in Rathmines, it has won loads of awards and it is class. I really recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Nice one. Doesn't look like there's any gems there though.

Anyone have a butcher they have actually used and has good quality tasty meat. Steaks, Chicken Fillets, etc.

Supposedly there is a good butcher near East Wall Road close to the Fragrant River chinese takeaway. His chicken fillets don't sizlle when you put them in the frying pan, i.e. not injected with water.

I don't know the name of that butcher's but it wouldn't be much good to me anyway as it's too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

ballooba wrote:
    Could anyone recommend a good butchers on the Southside?

I want to go at lunchtime, so if it's within short driving distance of Ranelagh then that would be great.

There is 2 in Terenure - Downey's and O'Tooles - both Organic with a truck full of awards between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Matches wrote:
    You should check the one out tha is just up from Mother Reillys pub in Rathmines, it has won loads of awards and it is class. I really recommend it.

Will check this out. Close to my house.

Will also check out the two in Terenure even though they are slightly farther.

Thanks a million for the suggestions.

I actually went to one on Camden St at lunch. It's right next to Ryan's pub.

We used it a few times in college so I said i'd give it a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ballooba wrote:
    Nice one. Doesn't look like there's any gems there though.

...other than my suggestion of Downeys (which Downtime just also mentioned) you mean ;)

Mightn't be ideally close to you, but unless they've gone massively downhill.....its unbelievable.

One caveat...you get what you pay for. You want super stuff....it won't be Tesco's prices...

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

this isnt quite what you wree asking for but my local tescos and I presume all tesocs have a fresh meat counter and the guys who work there know there stuff and the meat is real fresh and nice. The steaks / beef is always VERY reasonably priced.

Sirlion is 8.88.kg and often on sale at 5.55/kg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Not all the tescos have a fresh meat counter, the smaller ones definitely don't.

I would recommend Lawlor's butchers on the Upr Rathmines Road, (it's in what's called Dartry Village, they're next door to Fothergills and a bunch of other shops) They're my local butcher and do excellent meat. Plus they've got loads of awards for their ready to cook stuff (I'd recommend the Meatballs, the Mediterannean Chicken and well pretty much everything) Their sausages are also fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

My brother goes to the butcher in Rathmines which is just down from Slattery's pub and the old cinema. It's about opposite Burdocks I think. He thinks it's very good value and excellent meat.

I usually go to O'Toole's in Terenure and find them lovely to deal with and the place always seems clean. Not all of their produce is organic though. They don't usually have any organic chicken - I order that from the guy at Marlay Park market on Saturday mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cheesy

Courtney's in KCR are open to the public Friday and Saturday till 3 pm. Their steaks are some of the best beef I've ever bought. They're cheap as well. 5 10oz sirloins or 4 fillet for 20 euro. They do geese (usually frozen) and duck. 7lb leg of fresh spring lamb is 20 euro and the meat is fantastic. Large chicken breasts are 10 for 10 euro. If you give them notice, they'll get you anything unusual as well. They sell a load of processed stuff for the kids too but their butcher meat is excellent quality. On a saturday I spend about 300 euro because all my family and friends ask me to get their butcher meat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

cheesy wrote:
    Large chicken breasts are 10 for 10 euro.

That chicken cant be that good at that price, I'd expect to pay that for 4 fillets unless they are imported rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

sorry - what / where is the "KCR Ind' Estate" ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Smoggy wrote:
    sorry - what / where is the "KCR Ind' Estate" ?

Thanks

Was wondering the same myself, planning a trip there next weekend!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

At a guess - Kennel Cross Road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Flinty

I think it's Kimmage Cross Road. Not far from Terrenure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

The butchers in Rialto has improved hugely in the last year, he changed premises with the post office next door and has a much bigger space now and seams to be trying out lots of new stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Cosgraves in rathfarnham village is good as is wilsons in rathfarnham shopping centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Three and a half years later :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

I would recommend Lawlor's butchers on the Upr Rathmines Road, (it's in what's called Dartry Village.

This sort of thing only serves to confused people. It's on the Upper Rathmines Road in RATHMINES. No such a place as Dartry Village.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

europhile wrote: »
    This sort of thing only serves to confused people. It's on the Upper Rathmines Road in RATHMINES. No such a place as Dartry Village.

I'm sure everyone has gotten over their confusion during the 4 years that have passed since the post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

copacetic wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone has gotten over their confusion during the 4 years that have passed since the post.

Indeed. Zombie thread is locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement