Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foreskin problem

Options
  • 12-04-2006 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

right, here's the deal. I cannot pull my foreskin back around the head of my penis, I can only get it a bit open and then it feels like if I go any further it'll rip or something, a very horrible feeling! I have had this problem all my life (being when I was taught as a child about the hygiene of cleaning the actual penis). It never bothered me until about a year ago a casual conversation came up with a group of close friends about how one of their younger brothes had to have his foreskin cut or something when he was about 5 because it was too tight, and that it hurt him for about 2 weeks. That's when I got thinking that I might have the same problem. I never went to the doctors encase I did have to get it cut. I mean if it hurts you for 2 weeks when you are 5 how long will it hurt when you are 20?

the reason I posted this was to find out if this was a normal thing, or if I should infact be able to pull it all the way back, meaning that my foreskin is too tight. please, no jokes or anything

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

go talk to you dr about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Na, that's not normal. It shouldn't hurt. Sounds like you really do need to go to a doctor. If you do need to get it cut, and it does hurt for two weeks - well, that really isn't a long time out of your life to get it sorted. Lots of diseases/injuries etc humans get last more than two weeks. Don't worry, you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Circumcision, it's a minor operation - foreskin removal, go talk to your doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sparks400 wrote:
    Circumcision, it's a minor operation - foreskin removal, go talk to your doctor

What???? a crap, ill-informed post.

The procedure to relieve this condition is NOT circumcision.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

esel wrote:
    What???? a crap, ill-informed post.

The procedure to relieve this condition is NOT circumcision.
    your wrong according to

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/menshealth/205046.html

A lot of guys have excessively tight foreskins. The usual remedy is a circumcision, but some surgeons do other operations designed to 'loosen' the skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey man. had this done myself at the start of the year! its only a day job in the hospital and the op itself is only half an hour! it'll be worth your while in the end up trust me! :)

As for pain there really was very little if any! its just really sensitive but after about a week or 10 days its grand! tight close will not be your friend! was out of work for 10 days and was grand after about 3 weeks ya'll have no restrictions! teh swelling can take a while to go down but if it needs to be done it needs to be done!

it sounds worse than it actually is! i'll answer any questions ya might have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

ah the good old internet quacks strike again, OP go to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dbnavan wrote:
    your wrong according to

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/menshealth/205046.html

A lot of guys have excessively tight foreskins. The usual remedy is a circumcision, but some surgeons do other operations designed to 'loosen' the skin.
    usual remedy, go with the other. It can be stretched, no need for unneccessary surgery. Cutting off part of your gentials full of nerve endings which give sexual pleasure, and skin that keeps the glans more sensitive should be an absolute last resort in my book. Many men are trying to restore foreskin.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    ah the good old internet quacks strike again, OP go to your doctor.
    I have never claimed to be a doctor or take the place of one i was just correcting a false statement which i backed up. with medical reference.

Agreed see ur dr.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Those who are posting saying 'go to your doctor', lay off will yas. This is obviously a very sensitive issue for the OP. And obviously he is trying to ascertain whether its normal or not before he goes to his doctor. He obviously just doesnt want to look silly or make a fuss out of nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I had the same problem dude. But I persisted. Finally got the skin back, didn't split but it swelled up for about an hour maybe two. This was years ago. It's still quite tight but it can be done. I wondered about going to the doc myself but I'm really not interested in losing bits of myself even if its just a little nip. VERY sensitive area for me because its so tight and protected, so to speak. But when properly aroused its normal. Thank goodness for understanding GFs hehehe.

I also have this problem, I was going to post something about it a week ago but I decided I'd just look it up on the internet instead. It seems to be a more common problem than this thread would suggest with apparently around 10% of uncircumcised men suffering with some sort of tight foreskin problem. It can be stretched in most cases instead of having the operation.

My problem I don't think is as serious as most people who complain about this. I can get my foreskin over the head but at first it feels quite tight and uncomfortable but if I stretch it for about 15-25 seconds it feels ok and I get used to it. However for me the foreskin doesn't glide back and forth over the head, I've never had sex so I don't know if this will be a problem. If you search google for tight foreskin or phimosis (the medical term) you will find websites telling you about stretching methods. Most of them will tell you the operation should be a last resort. There's also new operations where they make a few incisions to loosen up the movement of the foreskin, without fully removing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

General Info about Phimosis

Among the many diseases and infections, there are a few which have a gender bias in the way it affects. One very common problem seen in males, but goes without much attention and which gets exploited by quacks is Phimosis. Many males are embarrassed to discuss this with others. Phimosis is the inability to retract the prepuce (foreskin) of penis over the shaft due to a narrow opening.

Anatomy of pelvis:

The male organ penis consists of a tubular cylindrical body called shaft of penis. It opens at its end and this area is called 'Meatus'. The skin at the end can be pulled back to a short distance and this skin is often called the foreskin (or prepuce). The foreskin protects the more delicate 'glans' and 'meatus' (the hole or opening at the end of the penis). In people who have had 'circumcision' this foreskin is removed.

Get more in fo here http://www.medindia.net/patients/patientinfo/Phimosis_causes.htm

thanks for the help lads. I think I will go and see the doc.

Tri wrote:
    Those who are posting saying 'go to your doctor', lay off will yas. This is obviously a very sensitive issue for the OP. And obviously he is trying to ascertain whether its normal or not before he goes to his doctor. He obviously just doesnt want to look silly or make a fuss out of nothing.

There is nothing silly about going to a medical professional about any fear or concern one has, further more it states in the rules and regulations of this board.....

Guys and gals, I'm glad this board seems to help people who want to get a head-check or whatever but we are NOT licensed to give ANYONE medical advice and with the number of jokers round these parts you shouldnt take any medical advice on this board without checking with your personal GP first.

If you have a specific medical question like "X is wrong with me, what should I do" then take it to a doctor or free medical advice clinic. If you want to ask "I have X wrong with me, anyone else share this?" to find people who might be having the same problem as you, thats fine.

Please please please do NOT GIVE medical advice out on these boards, no matter how well intentioned you could put the entire admin team in jail

Therefore there is no problem telling someone to go to a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

I'd just go and see a doctor.
    I had the same problem a few years ago and got a circumcision - but the skin kept growing back - have now had it done 3 times.

What happens when you get an erection - does the skin not peel back then?

Gotta go unregged on this one....

Surgery, in most cases, is a cop out. But do go to your doctor, as it does vary per individual.

I have the very condition described, phimosis, but I decided that I don't want to lose my foreskin, if I lose sensitivity. I did visit my doctor, and he advised surgery, but I talked it over with my gf at the time, and I wasn't that keen on it.

There was a programme on BBC 3 a few months ago (was available on a torrent site recently)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/mischief/circumcise_me_factsheet.shtml

But there is also a good site, http://www.norm-uk.org/circumcision_alternative_treatments.html
    which describes techniques which can overcome the problem. I have used Vaseline Intensive Care hand cream when I have a hand shandy / prepare for the wild thing, and I have to say, over the course of a month (ave 3 **** per week), the 'skin slips up and down the shaft with out a problem, and no sense of a tear. But it is an ongoing treatment, and I feel that this is fine if you keep up applying the lotion. I might approach my doctor again about the steroid creams mentioned in that article, but the hand cream is doing the biz.

This is my story, but the diagnosis a GP would make will be individual, and will suit you. And don't be embarrassed! I know I don't wave my lad out to all in sundry, but it is a medical condition, and they are best placed to know, and have seen it before. I will say that, after some research, and for me, its a manageable condition that doesn’t require further escalation.

Good luck.

Cant pull mine back either when hard, didnt even know it was meant to go back for a long time through my teens, no way id get it cut though, why does it need to be pulled back? head is sensitive, protection is good. Just be gentle down there and ask the doc as everyone says

• Registered Users Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Google phimosis.

Check these links:

http://www.cirp.org/library/treatment/phimosis/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phimosis#Treatment_of_phimosis

Circumcision may turn out to be the recommended treatment, but if it was me, and the doctor did not discuss the other less radical, usually successful treatments with me first, I'd be seeking a second opinion pronto.

Anyway, OP, go to your GP as a first port of call. Inform yourself first, though.

:eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I didnt say there was anything silly about going to the doctor for advice. I was saying that he may feel a bit embarassed and just wanted to ascertain whether others had this problem first before going to doc.

Perhaps you should read what I actually said rather than what you thought I said.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Tri wrote:
    I didnt say there was anything silly about going to the doctor for advice. I was saying that he may feel a bit embarassed and just wanted to ascertain whether others had this problem first before going to doc.

Perhaps you should read what I actually said rather than what you thought I said.:rolleyes:

Tri wrote:
    He obviously just doesnt want to look silly or make a fuss out of nothing.
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

And don't be embarrassed! I know I don't wave my lad out to all in sundry, but it is a medical condition, and they are best placed to know, and have seen it before.
    You have to get aroused in front of the doctor?
    I don't envy you that!

Guys should really be taught more about this when growing up.
    I for one, don't even know if you should still have your frenulem attached in adulthood and will it ever matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

had same problem myself I used baby oil and pulled skin up and down and this made it more loose , i did not need to be cut but maybe u do see a doc

UOTE=yer man]right, here's the deal. I cannot pull my foreskin back around the head of my penis, I can only get it a bit open and then it feels like if I go any further it'll rip or something, a very horrible feeling! I have had this problem all my life (being when I was taught as a child about the hygiene of cleaning the actual penis). It never bothered me until about a year ago a casual conversation came up with a group of close friends about how one of their younger brothes had to have his foreskin cut or something when he was about 5 because it was too tight, and that it hurt him for about 2 weeks. That's when I got thinking that I might have the same problem. I never went to the doctors encase I did have to get it cut. I mean if it hurts you for 2 weeks when you are 5 how long will it hurt when you are 20?

the reason I posted this was to find out if this was a normal thing, or if I should infact be able to pull it all the way back, meaning that my foreskin is too tight. please, no jokes or anything[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I had this too, just remembered it a while ago actually and realised how messed up my foreskin used to be. It was basically attached to my helmet, and it took around a year from the time I started masturbating for the skin to, I dunno, it just wore away or something. It's fine now.

Good to know other people have the same condition!

Surely it would get fairley scankey if you dont wash regualry under the forskin?
    Its not supposed to be sore to pull it back or have erections etc, just for long term hygiene and safety, doctor is the best bet. I knew someone in there late teens who had the same prob. and had to get a circumsision. Wether you want to or not, a doctor would know a lot more on the subject than you so take there advice. Sure dont loads of americans have it done so I assume there shouldnt be too much of a problem with loseing sensitivity?? Ask them about alternatives if your worried.

Advertisement