Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Tolstoy

Options
  • 11-04-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

I just finished reading 'The Death of Ivan Ilyich'. It was a powerful book with razor sharp insight. I was very impressed and does anyone have any advice on what novel I should read next? The size of War and Peace has always intimidated me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I don't particulary recommend reading War and Peace next. About a third of it is (boring in my opinion) essays which made reading it less pleasant than it should have been. Anna Karenina is more enjoyable. It's a big fecker too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Check out some of the short stories.

Better yet, skip Tolstoy and move on to Dostoevsky.The Idiot is an absolutely incredible book, one of my absolute favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'll be honest, I tried to read the Idiot and I enjoyed what I read but I just found it far to slow moving. At one stage he went to some guys house (vague, I know) for a chat (just before he went to the country) and I swear the conversation seemed to go on for thousands of pages and it just seemed to be mindless banter. I might have another crack at it, I always wondered what happened to Prince Myshkin, he was a likeable character. (no spoilers!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

hehe

Try it again!

Advertisement