Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Licence Beer prices in N.West ?..

Options
  • 11-04-2006 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

In the Twin-Towns of Ballybofey-Stranorlar, I buy Fosters Lager in cans. The shocking difference in prices is really 'getting to me' :confused:

In my local supermarket cans are €1.75c each.

In my nearest off licence cans are €1.55c each.

In another off licence at the bottom of Ballybofey cans are €1.25c each, and they have 20 cans (boxed) for €20.00, thats only €1 per can ?

What is your experience of Off Licence prices, the differential in mark ups, really has me annoyed :mad: .

Have you noticed this ?....

P. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

just go to derry or strabane and stock up on the essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,942 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im more of a vodka man myself so i wouldn't know the cost of donkey piss

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daz1989

Derry and strabane would be best! prices are more less the same everywhere and Tesco and Sainsburys can do some nice offers sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

got 12 cans of Australian milk for £6.99 in da nord last weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

They make their own in Fanad

• Advertisement

Not exclusive to Fanad either

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I know there is a certain amount of snobbery when it comes to buying from Lidl. However, I have tried their bottled lager and it is very good. (I think it is called Kirstog). Very cheap.:D Personally, I prefer Heineken and there are some good deals to be had in Strabane. Try Super-Valu or the off-licence beside Better Deals on the Melmount Road.

smashey wrote:
    I know there is a certain amount of snobbery when it comes to buying from Lidl.
    Or in your case a certain amount of tightness:D :D

muffler wrote:
    Or in your case a certain amount of tightness:D :D

Says Muffler trolling his way to post no. 1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I like that :) , and on the ' Brew your own Beer ' subject , {A little off Topic I know ! }.

There used to be a lot of 'Brew at home kits available', but I never see or hear much about them anymore ?.....:confused:

Anyone know of good quality ' Home brew Lager kits ' :) . Mods, maybe this should be a ' Beer brewing at home ' ! thread. I'll leave it up to you ' ?...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I've drank my fair share (or more) of Kristorg, and it's grand for the price. Though, it's only 3% alcohol. The FinkBrau is stronger at 5% I think.

Though, the best beer in Lidl has to be the Bergadler Pils. 6 500ml bottles for €7 which is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daz1989

Paddy20 wrote:
    Anyone know of good quality ' Home brew Lager kits ' :) . Mods, maybe this should be a ' Beer brewing at home ' ! thread. I'll leave it up to you ' ?...

Maybe one could be started for those of us also interested:)

byte

A Home Brew thread was discussed on Beer/Wine/Spirits forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869329

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I agree, Lidl's beer ain't half bad.

However, since beer's not cheap these days anyway, I tend to like to buy something nice and enjoy it, rather than drinking Kangaroo piss for the sake of getting wasted. So I'd drink Heineken (€1.70 a can in Letterkenny) unless there's something almost as good for less (eg. Warsteiner €1 each in Dunnes, Letterkenny, or 12 Carlsberg for €15). After all, if you're going to force an unpleasant liquid into yourself just to get drunk, you should just get some gin...

I agree, Lidl's beer ain't half bad.

However, since beer's not cheap these days anyway, I tend to like to buy something nice and enjoy it, rather than drinking Kangaroo piss ?.. After all, if you're going to force an unpleasant liquid into yourself just to get drunk, you should just get some gin...

Personally, I never drink spirits. Apart from a very rare a drop of Mountain Dew. Are you suggesting that my favourite beer Foster's Lager is Kangaroo Piss ?...:eek:

I think maybe you FELL out of the wrong side of the bed today ;) , and I drink beer simply because it helps me relax, and not to " Get wasted " :p .

Lets be honest, it's down to a matter of Taste!.

Maybe, a 'Which is the best beer ?..' thread might be popular, if someone wants to start one ?.....

byte wrote:
    A Home Brew thread was discussed on Beer/Wine/Spirits forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054869329

Nice link Byte, Thanks :)

byte

Paddy20 wrote:
    Nice link Byte, Thanks :)

No problems.

Good luck with your brewery! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Paddy20 wrote:
    Are you suggesting that my favourite beer Foster's Lager is Kangaroo Piss ?...:eek:

No, Foster's beer *IS* kangaroo piss. :D
    Paddy20 wrote:
    I think maybe you FELL out of the wrong side of the bed today ;) , and I drink beer simply because it helps me relax, and not to " Get wasted " :p .

Same - which is why I wouldn't drink a beer because of its price, rather because of its taste.
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Lets be honest, it's down to a matter of Taste!.
    Yeah, I guess some people like the taste of Kangaroo piss :p
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Maybe, a 'Which is the best beer ?..' thread might be popular, if someone wants to start one ?.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=598 [EDIT] Damn - Byte beat me to it! [/EDIT]

I remember starting my drinking habits when I was 18 and there was a great beer called Carling black label. A lovely nectar it was. It must be off the market now as I never see it.

But I suppose that was about 10 years ago:D

muffler wrote:
    I remember starting my drinking habits when I was 18 and there was a great beer called Carling black label. A lovely nectar it was. It must be off the market now as I never see it.

But I suppose that was about 10 years ago:D

You can still get it in the off licences in Strabane. Trust me. I know these things.

• Advertisement
    byte

Yup, smashey's right. They're still about alright. You just need to look in the right places! :)

It wouldn't be past its sell by date now lads:D unlike myself

muffler wrote:
    It wouldn't be past its sell by date now lads:D unlike myself

I well remember Carling Black Label, and Heineken plus Carlsberg, tried and enjoyed them all until I discovered Foster's ;) , and it seems I am not alone, as I read somewhere in the past week that Foster's is the subject of a in-house distribution battle as it is now the fastest growing 'Brand name lager' within the E.U. :D .

Advertisement