Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Educational Psychology

• 11-04-2006 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know what type of experience applicants for the educational psych courses usually get? (i.e. those who dont have a teaching qualification and are intending to apply for the two year course?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

High grade, work experience (1-2 years) in a related area and luck from what I can tell (my girlfriend is going for it at the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Soon2bExStudent

Would you mind me asking what kind of work experience your girlfriend has done so far?? Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

She has done a summer camp for dyslexic kids and worked with kids who have autism as an ABA tutor (only one year so far). She went for the interview for the course today, she won't know yet if she's in or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 AC1

Hi

I'm just finishing the two year course at the moment. I had three years experience in an ABA school, both in a tutoring and supervisory capacity and over a years work experience with adults with intellectual disability. Two of the other students who did the two year course in my year had masters degrees already in addition to their undergrad. It's tough enough to get on it and no guarantee of a job at the end of it, but i really enjoyed it. By the way, from next year the course is changing to two years for all applicants, qualified teachers included!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

John2 wrote:
    High grade, work experience (1-2 years) in a related area and luck from what I can tell (my girlfriend is going for it at the moment).

High grade as in a 2.1?

and what is an ABA school? How do you fund yourself when getting the relevent experience? Is it voluntary?

I've taken an interest in educational psych recently and even though I'm only after finishing my first year, it's good to get a heads up!

• Advertisement

High grade 2:1 or 1:1

ABA stands for Applied Behaviour Analysis, they are specifically for children with autism and use one-to-one teaching mainly. There are a number of them in Dublin and Kildare and more opening around the country. All of my work experience was paid employment. With a degree in psychology, you would have a good chance of obtaining employment in an ABA school or in a service for children with intellectual disabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

AC1 wrote:
    High grade 2:1 or 1:1

ABA stands for Applied Behaviour Analysis, they are specifically for children with autism and use one-to-one teaching mainly. There are a number of them in Dublin and Kildare and more opening around the country. All of my work experience was paid employment. With a degree in psychology, you would have a good chance of obtaining employment in an ABA school or in a service for children with intellectual disabilities.

Thanks. Would one not need a teaching qualification to work in an ABA school?

No, the schools provided training in ABA, it's quite different from a typical mainstream school.

Advertisement