Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train ticket inspector accepting money??

Options
  • 11-04-2006 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

There were ticket inspectors on the 9:20 train from Coolmine to Pearse.
    I saw one inspector take his pad out. I assumed it was to issue a fine and that, having seen this previously, it would take a while as he confirmed name/address etc. Two seconds later he's back checking tickets.
    A few seats down a woman in her 50s handed him cash. He issued a page from his pad. It must have been a receipt. Are there any unmanned stations before Coolmine?

When I saw a young guy get a fine there was no discussion. The guy had been running late so went for the train rather than via the ticket office. I realise that the by-laws state that you must have a ticket before boarding.
    I wonder why cash was accepted today but not then?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They sometimes issue tickets from pads in the absence of ticket machines (in event of machine breakdowns etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

There's not much excuse anymore now that they have ticket machines, but I have seen people without tickets just paying their fare. There are no unmanned stations from Maynooth to Coolmine, at that time there would certainly be ticket offices open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've often seen people on the 7am Dublin - Cork train pay the inspector for a ticket - but I think this is kinda normal on InterCity trains (AFAIK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭emmagean

Donabate ticket office is closed before 7am at least 2 mornings per week so I have to get on the earlier train without a ticket. I just pay them at Connolly when they are checking tickets at the platform.
    Never had an inspector get on the train at that hour but i cant see how they could hand me a fine if the ticket office was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

whats the chances of them taking someone to court for not paying an €80 fine for not having a ticket ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There's not much excuse anymore now that they have ticket machines

What a load of rubbish you speak. Balbriggan station closes at 19:00 with no access to ticket machines, there are at least 12 more services which depart that station after 19:00. People have no option but to use the service without having purchased a ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

The rule book is quite clear, its is fully legal to travel without a ticket if when boarding the ticket office is closed. Equally if a member of staff permits you to board that is allowed on the condition that to issue you a ticket would hold up services. The rules make no reference to ticket vending machines and I would argue that it is technically legal to board without a ticket if only a ticket vending machine is present, its trivial to prove a situation where it is impossible to to get a ticket, try paying with a €50 euro note.

Under those conditions the onus is on the passenger to purchase a ticket as early as possible, on the train if possible or at destination. That said IE can't touch you if the destination is unstaffed

Many intercity stations are unstaffed and as such tickets will be sold on board, that said if you are caught on a train without a ticket having boarded at a staffed station eg Heuston (which isn't easy) you will get trouble. The ticket checker in these cases carries a portable ticket machine which can issue the full range of tickets. They are not ticket inspectors they are ticket checkers

The Dublin suburban area the paper ticket system, known as the excess ticket is used. If the booking office system goes down or the queue gets crazy the member of staff minding the gate may start to issue single paper tickets.

Its all very hit and miss but I've seen many people being pulled aside and issued with the fine. There is an element of discretion coupled with security a lone ticket checker won't typically push his luck. The system is tightening up and more people are getting pulled aside its not worth the risk and to be honest if you board without a ticket where the booking office was open I hope they throw the book at you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The system is tightening up and more people are getting pulled aside its not worth the risk and to be honest if you board without a ticket where the booking office was open I hope they throw the book at you

It's all too easy to fob the 'revenue protectors' off with an excuse and they are all too easy to be willing to accept it.

It seems everytime theres any sort of a query they have to consult the guy with the moustache as to what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Bluetonic wrote:
    It seems everytime theres any sort of a query they have to consult the guy with the moustache as to what to do.

I beg your pardon, I have never been consulted on such matters!! :D

It is all very confusing, here in the UK, Central trains bye-laws say you must always have a ticket before boarding, yet the guy who checks your tickets never fines anyone and instead, takes cash and issues tickets!?! :confused: Yet on One railway services they jump all over you (metaphorically), fine you and even give you a caution which is automatically forwarded to the police! Talk about different standards!

As for IarnRóid Éireannn, well, I haven't travelled for over a year on any trains at home but I used to regularly and almost never came across an inspector! Have things changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It's well known that IE (and CIE in general) have woeful revenue protection (I wonder does that have anytning to do with the fact that they won't go out of business, they'll just ask for higher subsidy?) while I was told (off the record) that the Luas has c.3% fare evasion with an honour system! You need to believe you will be checked and fined if caught without a ticket. There is no such belief on DART/Suburban Rail. I've also seen these ticket sellers letting people off who've gone out of their way to hope the fence at stations along the Maynooth line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This happens all the time on the Cork-Cobh train. Quite often the ticket desks are closed and people just wont use the ticket machines. I dont have anything against it really - it would be nice if people did use the machines but the way is done is working fine. Usually the inspector can get everyone to pay before people hop off at the first stop.

So everyone herds onto the train and the ticket inspector works out the monies.

Typical though for someone to hand him a €50 note and get very annoyed when the poor man doesnt have €47 in change pacman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

murphaph wrote:
    It's well known that IE (and CIE in general) have woeful revenue protection (I wonder does that have anytning to do with the fact that they won't go out of business, they'll just ask for higher subsidy?) while I was told (off the record) that the Luas has c.3% fare evasion with an honour system!

I have heard very different figures from several frontline Connex employees. There are serious RP and staff security issues at night on both lines. To say that all is not well with the operational staff would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

John R wrote:
    I have heard very different figures from several frontline Connex employees. There are serious RP and staff security issues at night on both lines. To say that all is not well with the operational staff would be an understatement.
    But they haven't walked off the job yet? Oh wait, it's Irish Rail's employees who like to leave passengers in the lurch at every opportunity! Nearly forgot there. Anyway, at least when a Connex inspector finds you sans billet you get a fine, not an opportunity to pay the fare you were trying to evade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

my question is still valid. Do they take unpaid fines to court ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,308 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes, they do take people to court.

Advertisement