Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok, so where should I live?

Options
  • 11-04-2006 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Everyone!

I'm coming to UL in September as a postgrad- and I'm wondering what your reccommendations are for the best places to live.

The international office seems to think that the villages on campus are the best options- but I'm 23, and would really rather not live with a bunch of 18 year olds! :D

I also did a stint in Galway in Corrib Village, and am wondering if Limerick's villages are similar in that they have heavy security on letting guests in, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Katie

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=299781

Sticky at the top with lots of info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hi Katie,

The college will encourage you to stay on-campus because they will profit from it. Drumroe village and Thomond village are nice if you can afford it and they will put you with other postgrads if you request it. I would avoid Kilmurray and Plassey villages, the rooms are tiny and very overpriced.

Some of the off campus apartments are pretty nice and reasonably priced. I lived in Brookfield Hall, the apartments are warm and newish, its about a 20 min walk from college but they run a shuttle bus before 6pm.

If you're on a tight budget you can easily get a niceish house in one of the estates near the college, but if you're coming from the states I guess you wouldn't be able to view them etc beforehand.

Best of luck and enjoy your time in UL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Visit these Plassey is generally of a very poor quality if ur used to anything comfortable.

Fees for on campus accom

Accomodation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

I've lived in Plassey for three years and have just applied for a fourth. It gets a very bad name, I don't know why people think its so uncomfortable, I couldn't be happier here. Try comparing Plassey to any of the estates around the place to get a bit of perspective. The bedrooms are pretty spacious, with network connection, a big study desk and sink/mirror in the room.

As someone said, you won't be with 18 year olds, they try to group people in the same year as each other together and postgrads would be grouped also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CaliforniaKatie

Thanks for all the help, guys!

And, by the way, the whole "I don't want to live with 18 year olds" statement wasn't meant to be insulting- it has more to do with metrying to avoid the habit of going out every single night and sleeping all day and being generally worthless (which was the story of my life as an undergrad)!

Anyway, does anyone have anything to say about the whole security issue? Because that was seriously annoying in Galway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Well, PlasseyMinstrel had 3 friends stay overnight once, didn't tell the village manager, no hassle ensued. My housemates seem to have a new visitor staying a few nights nearly every week and there's no hassle. Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

No there is nothing to stop you bringing in visitors /having them stay over there are house inspections in the on campus ones but there not too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭*yoda*

iv lived in Kilmurry village for three years and the only problem iv had with them were to do with a huge house party we had. no-one says a word about people staying over. if you apply for kilmurry you automatically get put in a post-grad house where everyone is a post grad or a mature student and the houses are generally a bit nicer than the undergrads. Im coming back in Sept for a post grad too but Briarfield (about 15 mins walk from UL) and areas off campus seem to be the places people are looking to live for post grad. Nice houses and generally have a lot of fourth years and post grads livin in them. hope that helps a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CaliforniaKatie

That is really helpful, thanks!

Does anyone have strong opinions on Brookfield Village and the Courtyard Student Village? I realize they're off campus, but I'm willing to deal with the distance if its worth it!

I've lived in Brookfield, its nice enough and there are shuttle buses to the college. The apartments are fairly new and clean. The place is a bit lifeless though. I had no problems with the management although one or two people I know who lived there did.

A current housemate of mine (also from the US) lived in Courtyard village and found it poor value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭*yoda*

courtyard and brookfield are both quiet nice to live in. i have heard of people in brookfield spending fortunes on those electricity cards. they seemed to be buying them constantly. not sure if its relaxed a bit now cos that was the first year it was opened. the shuttle bus is handy and ur really close to groody bar and subway! courtyard is a bit off the track though.

They've done away with the prepaid electricity cards, its a flat rate of 150 per semester now

Advertisement