Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Cullen Opens N30 Enniscorthy/Clonroche Road

Options
  • 10-04-2006 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.transport.ie/viewitem.asp?id=7457&lang=ENG&loc=1887
    Cullen Opens N30 Enniscorthy/Clonroche Road
    Break line image
    7 April 2006

"Project on budget & on time"

Transport Minister, Martin Cullen, T.D. today (Thursday, 6th April 2006) travelled to County Wexford where he officially opened the N30 Enniscorthy / Clonroche road, another key project under Transport 21. The project comprises 5.3km single carriageway, one under-bridge, one over-bridge, drainage culverts, agricultural underpasses and approximately 1.4km of re-aligned side roads and link roads. The scheme, which commenced in October 2004 is completed on time and, at a cost of €21 million is on budget.

Speaking at the official opening, Minister Cullen said: "Projects such as this deliver significant benefits in terms of improvements in road safety, the alleviating of traffic congestion and also to industry in terms of reduced journey times and greater journey certainty.

"The Enniscorthy / Clonroche project will offer a much improved quality of life for local residents and boost the sustainable growth of the area. It will reduce travel times on the N30 and improve access between New Ross and Ennsicorthy. This is yet another transport project that is on budget and on time. At the Northern end of the N30, the N11 has seen major improvements over the last few years. On the Southern end, the N25 links into Waterford, Rosslare and Cork the Cork to Waterford leg forming part of the Atlantic Arc under Transport 21. Work on the N9 and the Waterford Bypass will commence shortly, which will make substantial improvements to our road infrastructure in the South East generally."

Minister Cullen spoke of the high level of investment in our national road network scheme under Transport 21. "Transport 21 is a first for this country. There has never been a ten-year funding plan for capital investment in transport infrastructure. The €34 billion investment for the next ten years by this Government is a clear recognition on the part of the Government that strong and effective transport links are vital to the success of Ireland. This is in tandem with the phenomenal growth in traffic resulting from our recent and continuing exceptional economic performance."

The Minister spoke of the numbers of people killed on our roads. "We all have a part to play in improving road safety. If road users obey the rules of the road, stick within the speed limits, wear their safety belts and don't drink and drive, lives will be saved. The Government, this week has rolled out another 31 penalty points offences, targeting bad driver behaviour. If people obey the rules of the road, they have nothing to fear from penalty points. But, if they don't, they will be punished."

Mr. Peter Malone, Chairman of the National Roads Authority said: "Construction activity in the South East of Ireland is at an all time high with over €70 million being invested in the development of the national road network in County Wexford alone in 2006. Today I am delighted to see this major realignment on the N30 completed on time and within budget and I am pleased to say that construction will commence shortly on the N25 Waterford city bypass. The authority is now well positioned to deliver on the objectives of Transport 21 and this year alone will see the commencement of 14 major schemes comprising 310km of new roadway and the completion of 13 key projects around the country."

ENDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yet again the minister heads off to cut the ribbon on some minor road project. I'm surprised he doesn't turn up every time they throw down some loose chippings.

Hallelujah, 5km of new road - the fact that the rest of the N30 is windy and substandard can be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Yea - why couldnt they do the whole N30 from Enniscorthy to New Ross is beyod me. I drive this road at least twice a week and in fairness the new stretch will be great but the rest of the road is exactly like the last bit and very dangerous!! Even the small bit coming out of Enniscorthy is bad.... Once again, bad planning and tight-fisted decisions... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I agree, they do small stretches of road maybe 5 km etc- then they leave the rest the same in crap condition!!

The N30 needs major upgrading, the bit coming out of Enniscorthy is horrendous to say the least.They leave it then for another 10 years til they get funds together to do another few KM.I think it would be much better value if they just did the whole lot in one go...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Enniscorthy is being bypassed on both sides.

http://www.wexford.ie/Roads/downloads/Enniscorthy.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking at the NRA site I see Templescoby/New Ross listed as being 15 km to be started at a date to be decided I belive Templescoby is between Enniscorthy and Clonroach.

Ah Victor you just popped up with the link I was looking for! :) I presume Templescoby fills the gap between the east end of the Clonroach by-pass and the Enniscorthy Western By-pass.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Victor wrote:
    Enniscorthy is being bypassed on both sides.

http://www.wexford.ie/Roads/downloads/Enniscorthy.pdf

seems a little over the top - why not just bypass it to the west? that way it would intersect with the N30 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

mike65 wrote:
    Templescoby
    Haha... brilliant name!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The single worst part of that road has got to be the 1km bit just on the Enniscorthy side of Clonroche. The surface is an absolute disgrace and trees and branches make it difficult for lorries to meet. They resurfaced quite a bit of the existing 'old' N30, so why couldnt they at least do this bit, and possibly cut some of the trees as well?

Advertisement