Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHDs in Social Science field

Options
  • 10-04-2006 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

i have a masters in social work and am just beginning to look into doing a phd. however, ive just realised the following: i havent a clue what's involved!
    any ideas on any aspects would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Have you any ideas for projects / research you'd like to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dexxy

i have some pretty general ideas: something in the field of social gerontology, maybe around the issues of providing care for older people at home (i did my [minor] masters thesis on this subject). exciting, huh?

Personally I've always thought of a PHD as a very large project where at the end you produce a significant body of work. That's why I asked if you've ideas for research - because that'd essentially be what you're doing. Possibly look at a few colleges you think you'd be interested in and approach a few professors there about what kinds of PhD you could do...
    (obviously try root out people who are likely to be involved in an area that's going to be of interest to you).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dexxy

yeah, you know I have to be honest and say that im just tiptoeing around, putting off speaking to members of academic depts. this is probably because ive never managed to strike up or maintain even a teeny tiny good relationship with lecturers/other dept bods. im sure that's uniformly their fault rather then mine though, right?

Who knows :)
    I haven't done a PhD (someday hopefully) so can't offer you too much more advise but I don't think you'll get too far without speaking to one or two academics. Either that or seek help from your colleges careers guidance person if they have one - book an appointment and they might be able to offer you a few directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

There does seem to be differences between PHD programmes in colleges. In some it takes 6 years to complete one part time. Other colleges give it in 4 years part time.

I am considering one myself - part time but I worry about trying to mix work, study and a social life.

When I did a part time MA - my social life suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I too am investigating a PhD - what I did was talk to my MSc. supervisor. he gave me loads of info.

Also, the college where I work (I am a lecturer) PhD holders are running a few Q and A sessions next week on what is involved in doing a PhD. If you talk to someone, they may be aware of something similar in the college you did your masters.

Advertisement