Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you become pregnant?

Options
  • 10-04-2006 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can you become pregnant, having unprotected sex, even if the guy comes outside you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

YES!!!!!

Can't believe these type of questions still get asked!

There can be sperm in pre-cum, so you can still get pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerTheGreat

Very basic biology. Seriously if you don't understand that then you shouldn't be having sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Very basic biology. Seriously if you don't understand that then you shouldn't be having sex.
    Actually I think boozybabe is correct.

All that's required is that sperm makes its way into the vagina, which is far more likely to happen during ejaculation (hell, that's the whole purpose of ejaculation), but can happen in smaller amounts during sex anyways.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Canyou? wrote:
    Can you become pregnant, having unprotected sex, even if the guy comes outside you?

if you are going to have unprotected sex (highly dangerous with so many STI's around) then take responsibility and educate yourself on the subject before having sex again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

lol, of course not. Nor can you get pregnant in a swimming pool, or if you have sex standing up.

Seriously though, I'd agree with the previous two posts, and for your own sake, do some heavy duty online research and investigate sex/reproduction fully. If you're still confused, go to your GP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I would also strongly advise that the OP refrain from having sex with so little education about it.
    Yes, of course it's possible.

ned78 wrote:
    lol, of course not. Nor can you get pregnant in a swimming pool, or if you have sex standing up.

Yeah, if I ever have a daughter I'm never taking her to a swimming pool. Ever!

I didn't know you could get pregnant that way. I've never ejaculated outside a girl like that, and I have never not worn a condom. But at least now I know its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies.

So, basically you can get pregnant like this. There are other here too who didnt know this.

Ammmmm, not even I am sure about the swimming pool comment. Seems like the poster thinks you can get pregnant this way!?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The poster was being sarcastic with that comment.

Please go away and read carefull about the facts of life, as well as STIs before you begin to have sex.

The next smart comment about sex will lead to a banning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Canyou? wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

So, basically you can get pregnant like this. There are other here too who didnt know this.

Ammmmm, not even I am sure about the swimming pool comment. Seems like the poster thinks you can get pregnant this way!?

You can get pregnant any where (including swimming pool) in any position (well those where the penis is in the region of the vagina.)
    Though pretty unlikely:- you can even get pregnant if your bf ejaculates outside you but around your vaginal region:- i.e. penetration doesn't even have to occur)

Always practice safe sex.

Please go & educate yourself

Oh, & as for the others who didn't know:- they also need to go get some sex ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

about the swimming pool comment - people think that the water will act as spermicide and therefore you cannot get pregnant if you have sex in water. Also it should be mentioned that you can get pregnant the first time you have sex (just because it is your first time it means nothing) and also you can get pregnant during your period...i cannot think of anymore pregnancy myths right now.

Also if the poster is young.......age 13/14 - 17/18 is a womans most fertile time of her life so be careful if you are between these ages. go talk to you GP...Divina Mc Caul did a programme on Channel Four called lets talk about sex.....they were talking about "double dutch" - that is using two forms of conterception - a condom and then the pill or something like it. The pill can protect againts pregnancy but not against STDS - AIDS is for life, there is no cure and chances are you will pass it on to any children that you may have and any sexual partners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Like others have posted, for your own sake OP, please get some education on the subject..nothing more to be said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

bp wrote:
    about the swimming pool comment - people think that the water will act as spermicide and therefore you cannot get pregnant if you have sex in water.

this is not right as you know. apparently in africa there's a myth that if the woman douches with coke afterwards she won't get pregnant. they did an experiment where they put some sperm in water and coke overnight and even the coke had little effect. the only thing it would do is line the inside with sugar and caramel and attract ants etc. i shudder at the thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

that coke thing is just weird! that is one thing i cannot imagine doing:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

bp wrote:
    they were talking about "double dutch" - that is using two forms of conterception - a condom and then the pill or something like it. The pill can protect againts pregnancy but not against STDS - AIDS is for life, there is no cure and chances are you will pass it on to any children that you may have and any sexual partners
    Plus, on the other side, condoms are not a particularly reliable form of contraception - they're about as effective as the rhythm method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.pregnancy-info.net/teenpreg_myth_fact.html
    Myth: I can't get pregnant if I have my period.

Fact: You can get pregnant if you have vaginal sex while you have your period. Sperm can survive inside of you anywhere from a day to almost a week, which means that the sperm could still be waiting for an egg to fertilize when you ovulate. If you decide to have sex while you have your period, you should still use birth control. And you should always use a condom since it is the only effective protection we have against sexually transmitted infections (STI's). STI's don't care if you have your period or not, they can be passed on to you at anytime so it's best to protect yourself every time you have sex. If you think you may be pregnant, take a home pregnancy test right away. Ultra sensitive home pregnancy tests can give you results as quickly as six to eight days after conception.

Myth: I can't get pregnant if he doesn't ejaculate inside of me.

Fact: You can get pregnant if your partner ejaculates inside your vagina or on or near your vulva (this is your external genitals including the opening to your vagina). There is also something called pre-ejaculate which is a small amount of fluid that contains thousands of sperm. It is called pre-ejaculate because your partner releases it before he actually ejaculates. Because of pre-ejaculate, the withdrawal method (when your partner pulls out before he climaxes) is not a reliable birth control method.

Myth: I can't get pregnant if he doesn't put his penis inside of me.

Fact: Pregnancy can occur when your partner ejaculates or pre-ejaculates near or on your vulva. Even if you and your partner do not engage in vaginal sex, there is still a chance of getting pregnant if there is naked body contact. So use birth control, like a condom, which will also help to protect you from STI's.

Myth: I can't get pregnant the first time I have sex.

Fact: You can get pregnant any and every time you have sex, it doesn't matter if it is your first time or not. Plus, females are the most fertile when they are teenagers and in their early 20's, so always use a reliable form of birth control.

Myth: If I washout my vagina after sex, I won't get pregnant.

Fact: Whether you wash with hot water, soap, or use a douche, it won't make a difference. Sperm are really fast swimmers and will get to their destination before you even have the chance to think about it. Also, using something like a douche may actually help them along by giving them an extra thrust into your cervix. Also, your body works naturally to suck the sperm up into the womb, so washing after sex won't help you prevent a pregnancy. Only birth control will.

Myth: I can't get pregnant if my hymen doesn't break.

Fact: Your hymen has nothing to do with your ability to get pregnant. As well, many girls' hymens don't break when they have sex for the first time (you might have also heard of this as "popping the cherry"). The hymen is a thin piece of skin that stretches across the opening of your vagina. There are different hymen sizes and openings while some girls may not even seem to have a hymen. Plus, your hymen can break from doing things like horseback riding or even riding your bike. If you have had unprotected sex, you can get pregnant, no matter what state your hymen is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Schuhart wrote:
    Plus, on the other side, condoms are not a particularly reliable form of contraception - they're about as effective as the rhythm method.
    Who told you that? The catholic church?

Condoms are at least 80% effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Schuhart wrote:
    Condoms are more effective tha rhythm method.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/condoms.html
    Are condoms effective contraceptives?

Male Condom: Tests show that for every 100 couples who use the male condom very carefully and consistently, two women will get pregnant in a year. But with less careful and consistent use, up to 15 could get pregnant. It is important to use a quality condom - carefully - every time you have sex, whatever your contraceptive method. Look for the BSI Kitemark until the introduction of a new European Standard for condoms. Condoms meeting this new standard will display the CE Mark or the Kitemark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Schuhart wrote:
    Do you really believe that, or are you one of those bizarre zealots who litter stickers with half-truths about condoms around the place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Or worse yet, go into pharmacies and prick the packets of condoms with needles?

Now on topic: OP, as you can see on this thread, it is very possible that you can get pregnant and/or catch and STI from your partner even if he doesn't come inside you. Don't have sex with him unless he wears a condom or at least if you're on the pill and he's sure he's STI free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

Yes u can get pregnant in every situation u can imagine if both sets of trousers are down! I was on the injection when i got pregnant the first time and on a combination of the pill and condoms when i got pregnant the second time so pulling out will not save u from anything!!!

Please protect yourself to from any STI's going around and if its a serious relationship you should go and get checked out together for your piece of mind.

Both my babies were unplanned , although i give them everything i have and love them more than life i never get to be me.
    So enjoy ur youth and freedom and get some contraception!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

I agree 100% , if you dont understand this, your either too young or too stupid to have sex and as dreamer7 suggested what about STI's.

Speak to a doctor or a guardian that you trust, find out about all the facts and there is a wealth of info on the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

Talliesin wrote:
    Do you really believe that, or are you one of those bizarre zealots who litter stickers with half-truths about condoms around the place?
    You are jumping to conclusions as to where I’m coming from, but in fairness given the history of family planning in this country I can understand why.

Barrier methods simply aren’t as effective as sterilisation, IUDs and the pill. Condoms were pretty much on the way out as a method of family planning until AIDS came along.

Surveys will vary, but a quick google reveals this link to statistics from the US Food and Drug Administration which largely illustrates what I’m saying. Hopefully this will explain to you that perfectly reasonable people, and not just bizarre zealots, don’t place a high value on condoms as a family planning method.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1997/conceptbl.html

When you see surveys of condoms reporting 98% protection, if they are from any kind of responsible source, this figure will be qualified by ‘when used correctly’. One problem traditionally was people failing to connect the words ‘do not use with oil based lubricant’ with the words ‘Vaseline petroleum jelly’. This weakens the rubber, and Bob’s an uncle.

I’d take the FDA figures as pretty reliable, and in fairness they do show condoms as having an advantage over natural methods. But I have seen World Health Organisation figures showing they don’t, in practice, have any substantial advantage over natural methods.

Incidently, you’ll also come across statistics stating impressive results for natural methods ‘when used correctly’. The essential problem with natural methods is that the time of peak fertility, unsurprisingly, coincide with the times of peak interest in sex. Hence, sticking to the timetable takes enormous self discipline because if you were being truly ‘natural’, you’d be shagging at the times you’re supposed to abstain and vice versa.

Here in the PI forum we always try to give the belt and braces advice,
    that safer sex ( condom use ) should always be used in conjuction with contraception methods.
    There are several threads with this advice in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Canyou? wrote:

Thats the type of question that jake stevens would ask if he was in a sex education class ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

For the people STILL worried about becoming pregnant while swimming: http://www.snopes.com/pregnant/swimsprm.htm

Yes but if you are in a swimming pool and shagging with out contraception and with out a condom you will still get pregnant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Thaedydal wrote:
    Yes but if you are in a swimming pool and shagging with out contraception and with out a condom you could still get pregnant.
    Its hardly a certainty. An exponentially greater chance, of course, but not a certainty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement