Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to object to Planning Permission?

Options
  • 09-04-2006 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I live in a lovely small village. that has 2 pubs 2 shops and about 4 townhouses as well as detached houses spread around the area. A pub owner who is trying to sell up and move out of the area has applied for planning permission for 20 townhouse beside the pub. I believe that this will ruin the area as he doesnt live in the area he wont care who buys the house but the will be aimed for the rent sector. as they are halfway between to two towns. How can we appeal against this and on what grounds can we appeal. thanks for any help givin

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Put down in righting your concerns and make an offical objection. Depending on how far you want to take it and how serious you are you could hire a planning consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭pd2006

Im Serious about it. How much would a planning Consl cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

pd2006 wrote:
    Im Serious about it. How much would a planning Consl cost.

I'm not sure. Best bet is to check out the golden pages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

for start object to the council, write a letter outling your concerns, mention existing density and the lack of respect for it, loss of visual ammenity, lack of services, and that its not consistant with sustainable development for the area, also mention traffic problems if any. thats pretty much it.i think it costs 20 or 25 euro. if he gets it, then u can appeal to an bord pleanala and hire a planning consultant after reading the planners report. do mention all the above as i know what im talking about;) .
    u cannot appeal to an bord pleanala without raising an initial objection on the planning application to the council.
    u may need to fill in a form and attach a letter to it with the fee. ul need the address of the property so the planners can find it, go down to the planning office for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

pd2006 - I suggest you look at www.archiseek.com and perhaps post the same question in the forum there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For a development of that size in such a small village there should really be a public pre planning consultation. As posted before you need to formally record your objection (3rd party submission) with your local council first. A consultant will be of great help here if you are unsure as to how to approach it. If you need to appeal to An Bord Pleanala it will cost upwards of €200. You could also get other residents to lodge their submissions. It's best if everybady submits an individual submission rather that one combined one - the more the merrier.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

My advice would be to go to your local town council and get everybody who it affects to object individually. Have a meeting and get your feelings out in the open. AFAIK an individual objection to your TC is about €20.

If they pass it, then you can send your objection to an Bord Pleanala. This costs €150. They will notify you in writing of what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First find out what is actually proposed by visiting the council planning office and compare this with the county development plan and any local area plans.

Find meaningful reasons, other than "I don't like it" and present them and the fee to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

From your original post you only seem to be objecting to it for the "you ain't from around here boy" reasons:- i.e you don't want strangers / foreigners living in your area.

There's nothing wrong with you objecting, just find proper reasons to object & then bring those to your council.

Maybe without the extra population in your village the 2 shops & 1 remaining pub would be forced to close?

1 pub owner has already decided to sell up as it's not worth his while?????

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

First and foremost, review the proposed development. Councils (or the Bord for that matter) do not hold much weight to spurious NIMBY type objections, particularly if the land has a residential zoning.

Land in satellite towns which are served by local authority infrastructure are usually good targets for development and you might find that the council are happy to approve a scheme if it is in general keeping with the surrounding area. Do not base any An Bord objection on 'don't like the look of it' as they tend to not hold much weight.

Premature development or especially traffic / drainage issues are strong An Bord grounds. An Taisce have a habit of lodging 'observations' (the statutory €20 objection during the first 5 weeks of the permission and MUST be done, to appeal to the Bord later) against permissions so perhaps a friendly tip off might be in order. They tend to weight appeals along the line of 'if its not hand built a la 1840's Ireland it has no place here!!'.

Make sure you lodge a concise objection, perhaps citing any lack of public consultation to give the planners the willies, pay your €20 (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A PROPERLY FORMATTED RECEIPT!!....... CRITICAL) and keep a careful eye on the status of the application and any further information requests. Lodge your appeal (either a re-hash of your original observation or add issues on the file of the application) to the Bord within 4 weeks of the date of a grant of permission for €210.

Things to base an observation (appeal) on would include (in a general order of importance)

Traffic
    Premature development of site
    Drainage (sewage) infrastructure
    Overlooking existing residential
    Material contravention (basically is it zoned for residential, requires a vote from councilors to re-zone)

Don't bother using the 'don't like the look of it' method of appeal, leave that to An Taisce. Consider a Planning consultant / Architect to set out the An Bord appeal, but lodging an observation isn't brain surgery so forge ahead yourself once the permission is lodged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement